586,068 active members*
4,290 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Stock placement?

I have always placed my stock at X0, Y0 & Z0 and select bottom left on my CAD, all x moves being positive, all Y moves being positive and all Z moves are negative. I typically used an edge finder for X & Y and a touch plate for Z. Upon touching with the edge finder I subtract 1/2 of the diameter of my proposed tool and rezero. This has always left the tool hanging 1/2 of the tool width off of X and 1/2 off on Y. I view this as the very center of the tool is touching the 0 point of all 3 axis. I am sure there are other and possibly better ways but that has worked for me. What ways do you all set up before loading any files?

Sounds pretty typical.
    I tend to use the rear of part as Y0 since that's against my solid jaw.
    That only comes into play when there are multiple setups on one part.
    Just makes it easier for me to keep track of feature locations.

Remember, you can have multiple UCS homes on a part as you flip it and/or work on different parts of it.

Although, once your UCS is no longer aligned to the XY plane, you're limited to 2D ops.

moldmkr, Thanks for the response. I do have my fixed jaw at the front and use the left corner of the fixed jaw as my X0 Y0, Z is set off of the part. I am really trying to figure out how to get my toolpaths or point of tool origination before the file starts to begin from 0,0,0. For some reason it has moved and seems to default into the middle of my 1st pocket. I am not sure of what that is even referred to, I call it my part "home" but that is probably not the correct term. With all of the modifiable areas in Mach and BC the culprit could be in a few places I would guess. UCS (user coordinate system?), I am not sure how to use that but of course its vocabulary would imply maybe that would have an effect on the point of origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    ...I am really trying to figure out how to get my toolpaths or point of tool origination before the file starts to begin from 0,0,0. For some reason it has moved and seems to default into the middle of my 1st pocket.....
    You've phrased this question in several posts.... Are you actually trying to get the tool to move to 0,0,0 rather than start at your first feature??

Here are some pics of the UCS:

Here I simply translated my part to be located relative to the std UCS (0,0,0 home):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	115.0 KB 
ID:	111983

And here I defined a new UCS in the center of my part. This will be the 0,0,0 home for all feature defined while this UCS is active.:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-2.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	127.5 KB 
ID:	111984

A word of caution regarding new UCS.
    When a new UCS is selected, v23 automatically increments the Work Offset under the feature Posting tab. This can lead to...umm.... undesirable results with the posted code. I always verify the fixture offsets in my posted code to make sure they're set correctly.

I just want all of my work to have the tool at 0,0,0 just prior to hitting cycle start the 1st time. Sorry if you saw my persisitent searches for how to solve the problem. Forums are very interesting in the way you see your own shortcomings in communications. You refer to "new" UCS has something in the UCS changed? I am not sure of how to phrase my question or of exactly what it is that all of of a sudden is causing the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    I just want all of my work to have the tool at 0,0,0 just prior to hitting cycle start the 1st time....
    Obviously, anything that happens prior to Cycle Start is up to you and the machine.

But...sounds like what you really want is to hit cycle start...
    the machine rapids to X0,Y0 and Z0 (I'd make that Z+2. just to be safe)....
    then the machine stops (M01) so you can verify position/setup....
    then you hit Cycle Start and start cutting.

You say this used to occur, but no longer...
    So either you're using a different post processor or downloaded a new one on top of the old.
    (either can happen if you're not careful)

Or you recently updated builds...
    There was a glitch (long ago) in the pocketing routine, I think, that sent it to X0,Y0 before it executed.

Your current post can be easily modified to send the tool back to X0,Y0
    If you zip it up and attach it here, someone can take a look at it.

Issue#2:
    The "new UCS" I was referring to was the new position just created.
    As I recall, the UCS area of Bobcad has been pretty consistent thru various builds.

You might see on my other post. I opened another profile in Mach ( I had been working on a profile for my MPG it worked manually). My other profiles ran the code correctly. And yes I like to set up my stock, touch it on the lower left corner, zero everything out as part 0,0,0 and then load the file, maybe hit reload as a precaution and then hit cycle start. I am trying to look thru and understand my xml enough to see why that would vary anything. Dont know enough about that either and then as if that wasnt enough. Just reading a minute ago about the MachSTDMill might cause me to really chase a moving target!(nuts)Like I have any business in beta of anything!

I believe he has got a work offset set in his mach3. In an original post, I had responded with a "reference all home" addition to his zeroing operation to clear the work offset and be back to what he expects.

You can go here:

http://www.machsupport.com/videos/

The 3rd one down is called "Homing, limits and offsets". It will give you some really cool information about mach.

Got my limits and home set up in both profiles and pressing 'ref all home" doesnt change anything that I can see. The file opens with the tool in the center of the circles if I open it with that profile.
    Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    I believe he has got a work offset set in his mach3. In an original post, I had responded with a "reference all home" addition to his zeroing operation to clear the work offset and be back to what he expects.

You can go here:

http://www.machsupport.com/videos/

The 3rd one down is called "Homing, limits and offsets". It will give you some really cool information about mach.

BurrMan, and others I appreciate all of your help even if I dont know how to use it. That being said here is a reference to my problems (maybe).
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109437