586,080 active members*
3,691 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > GibbsCAM > Import Jpg into gibbs??

Import Jpg into gibbs??

Hello,

Any way I can import this into gibbs???
    http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/2...heredflame.jpg

thanks

You can't import or open jpegs in GibbsCAM, so you'll need to do a raster to vector conversion and work with it as a dxf, or convert it to an STL file.

Yep! What he said.

Gonna be a tough image to convert to a vector file format, due to the shading graduation, but with enough familiarity with the graphics program of your choice...

I've used the free download trial of Corel Draw to beat a couple images into submission using the wireframe view, saved as,.... heck, I can't recall what I saved it as, butGibbs was able to import it. Probably a .dwg or .dxf.

There are a couple different programs out there that can convert a raster image to a vector. I used Inkscape a bit, but was not able to get the results I wanted. It's a pretty decent program for building vector graphics, but I was not happy with the detail levels I was able to convert the vectors at. Probably my fault more than the fault of the software, I recomend giving it a look. Free. Free is good!

Search 'Raster to Vector conversion' here or online and you will see that there are a lot of folks looking for a way.

Personally, I'd like to learn how to import the .jpg and set it as a background, so I could 'trace' around the details I'd like to have in my vector. That way I could follow the lines I want it to, even if it was slow.

I've tried printing out a transparency and tracing it going point to point, and the results were...useable. Rather be able to import the photo, or whatever into the program.

Take that for what it's worth. I have not made it to any level of mastery of the programs I have used, by any means, and the features I described above, may well be there, but I did not find them.

Cheers
    Trev

Thanks for the info, I found a program called traceart and it did a pretty good job. (free version adds their logo to the dxf though. )

In the General CAD forum, there was a post a few days back that was about a free sculpting program. In one of the posts therein, someone posted a link for the download of a utility that would allow you to open an image in a window, fade it to transparent, and have it stay on top when opening another program, allowing you to trace or otherwise use the image as reference.

Search for "Foreground utility" and you should find it. It may work for what I described doing. I have downloaded, but not installed it to use yet.

Cheers
    Trev

Thanks for all the input.

:cheers::cheers: