586,251 active members*
3,311 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Looking for a new tool

Currently I am using an indexible boring bar to bore a 30mm hole + or - .0002... Beings this is the only size hole I am currently boring I am wondering if there is a different tool to use that may increase productivity? I am thinking something like an indexible reamer that can be adjusted slightly....I don't know. Anyone have any thoughts on this??
    Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by cnctech View Post
    Currently I am using an indexible boring bar to bore a 30mm hole + or - .0002... Beings this is the only size hole I am currently boring I am wondering if there is a different tool to use that may increase productivity? I am thinking something like an indexible reamer that can be adjusted slightly....I don't know. Anyone have any thoughts on this??
    Thanks!!
    What material thickness are you doing... Most of my 1" and larger holes are done with Carbide drills and reamed to size or Drilled, then Helical circle to within tolerence then reamed if nesc. My machines all have ATC and are all within 2 yrs old so they are quick. Most are 1" to 1.25 thick and 1.1875 Diam. and under a minute pc.

My current depth is .625" in 7075 and 1018 cold rolled as well. I will have to check times again on both materials. Its pretty fast I just though there may be a better way or new tool on the market or something. The boring bar works well but it turns the spring that holds the tool in the spindle into chicklets at least twice a year...probably not good on the machine. My current cutting sequence is drill, drill, mill, then bore on the 1018. on the 7075 its helical mill then bore. Machines are somewhat new...newest being 2 years old. I thought of reamers but was concerned on tool life. On the boring bar it is one insert that you obviously just rotate and cost is minimal. I use 1 box of inserts a year and the tool is in use whatever the cycle time is on that tool depending on material...50 hrs a week 52 weeks a year. The offset of the boring head is what is causing the vibration in the spindle and I was wondering basically if there was some sort of straight indexible tool that you could adjust the size even if it is minimal...if that makes sense.
    Thanks for the input!