586,060 active members*
3,736 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

To Strip or not to Strip ?

Hello I'm new to milling I am in the process of stripping a new Super X3 prior to use.

I have been using the ArcEurotrade guide to the X3 but the Super is quite different.

Can anyone direct me to some detailed instruction of how to remove the spindle ? It's removing the quill feed I'm stuck on.

The spindle doesn't feel great but there again I don't know what to expect.

Once out of the machine it looks like you need a press to drive out the spindle & then a blind bearing puller neither of which I have. Are there any other 'proper' methods ?

I'll be running at the manufacturer's rpm and turning the handles myself.

Will a spindle strip be worthwhile ?

Thanks

Tony

if its a new machine and you are running it manual I would not even bother with the bearings, if you are trying to pull the spindle cartridge out you need to remove the return spring and cup on the left side of the head ( just use some channel locks to wiggle it off) then unbolt the crank handle and tap the small shaft left sticking out of where the return spring is and it should come out.
    There is an alignment pin under the quill DRO that will need to be removed as well, after that just loosen the quill lock bolt and slowly drop out the spindle cartridge, there is alot of info on the SX3 "upgrade bearings" which is the route I went but I am also looking for alot more RPM than stock for cnc
    If I can recall the lower is a 32907xu I went with NTN, the upper is 32006 i went with SKF and the very upper where the pulley is, is a 6006
    you either will need to make a spacer for the upper bearing as well as polish the shaft at the journal for a SLIP fit of the upper bearing
    These #'s are for the upgrade bearings the stockers are the same # for the lower but the upper has a thrust and a roller bearing
    I did mine as well as another zoners here and there is really not much too it
    except for the first dissasembly
    remove the spanner nuts at the top and "LIGHTLY" tap out the spindle with a dead blow hammer
    take care not to let anything drop out place a rag or something to protect the spindle face
    once out you should be able to tap out the race on the lower half through the top or cross 2 screwdivers and use them like prybars from the bottom,
    I prefer tapping it out from the top I just use a brass drift so not to damage the race if it is to be re-used
    get some KLUBER iso-flex
    installation is a little more difficult to get just right can give some pointers on that as well if you want
    sorry for the novel

good luck and have fun

JT

Thanks JT.

Speaking to Arc and taking your advice I have decided not to strip the spindle at this time. Arc say that the super X3 spindle is trickier than the X3.

I'll keep my attentions on the slide & screws & save the spindle for a rainy day. - Your info will be very useful at that point.

Tony

maybe this will help

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist....mod;dl=item266

click on the blue link at the top