586,061 active members*
4,413 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > Torsion box and Skate bearing thought

Torsion box and Skate bearing thought

Any thoughts on the following MDF – Skate Bearing design?

The orange is a torsion box which is carrying the pipe or rod. The dark blue bearing plate is free floating. Multiple green bolts are used to adjust the bearing pressure. They are threaded through T-nuts on the bottom of the top plate and locked in place with an extra lock nut on the top. There are pockets milled into the top of the bearing plate for the bolts to seat in. There is a small washer in the bottom of this pocket to avoid wear.

This is a model for my new Y axis. The 26 inch pipes are 6 inches apart; the outside box is 11.75 inches tall. The torsion box is only 1.5 inches thick and is ridged mounted to the gantry walls as the only gantry support on the top of the Y (to little support?). I plan to mount the lead screw on the back, and the Z axis on the front to keep things as compact as possible. I am also planning to use the same pressure plate/torsion box concept on the X and use Igus 27 for the Z.

I know it is like so many others, but it seems like it will fix my flexing router for cheap.

Thanks,
    Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Y_Torsion.jpg