586,069 active members*
3,434 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Extruding Rectangular Shape

Question Extruding Rectangular Shape

Hi all!
    I’m trying to Extrude a rectangular shape that I projected onto a surface well actually it was a solid tube and I created a surface from solid first and then I projected the rectangular shape onto the surface.
    My problem is the part where I’m trying to extrude cut that rectangular shape true that tube. All I get is operation requires planar chain set! ?? I’m lost, any Idea’s would be appreciated.
    All comments made are my opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by Rally View Post
    All I get is operation requires planar chain set! ?? I’m lost, any Idea’s would be appreciated.
    The entire closed contour must lie on 1 plane.
    a circle lies on 1 planar slice
    a rectangle ( rotated in any combinations of axes ) lies on 1 plane

I suggest you create the solid rectangular block 1st, then draw the circle and rotate to the correct aspect, then extrude (add boss) that circle, then place the hole thru it all ( both directions) by extruding ( create hole).

Stay away from creating surfaces until the solid is finished, it is easier to adjust the solid using the solids manager ( 2nd tab on the op. manager )
    Much bloody harder to work with surfaces.

I would not know how to project my shape other than mentioned. Basically, I'm looking at a 2.250" o.d 2.000" i.d. tube that is 5.000" long.(Top View) I create a rectangular shape 0.625"long 0.375"wide and a corner Radius of 0.1875" Problem starts when I project (Wrap) this Rectangular shape around my Tube this is where I’m getting that message. Obviously when I select the copy option to translate and use the original shape the extrusion cut works fine but the wrapped shape does not. If I do not understand or am not making myself clear I could attach a sample of what I’m talking about.
    Thanks for any help

You dont need to project it if your just doing an extrude cut.

All Mastercam solids require a planar chain set.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mattera View Post
    You dont need to project it if your just doing an extrude cut.

All Mastercam solids require a planar chain set.

Mike Mattera
    So basically what you are saying is that it is not possible?
    That being said, I will not get a true representation of what I'm trying to cut ?
    So what I'm saying is that if I extrude the shape as is it will not be correct!

What I'm saying is... There is no difference.

If you project the geometry onto the surface and try to extrude Up, it's the same as if you extrude Down to the surface. The net result would be the same. Of course, not seeing your part, there may be some geometric considerations I'm not aware of.

But projected profiles, project down thru a plane. The same as if you extrude down to the surface.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More

What I'm saying is... There is no difference.

If you project the geometry onto the surface and try to extrude Up, it's the same as if you extrude Down to the surface. The net result would be the same. Of course, not seeing your part, there may be some geometric considerations I'm not aware of.

But projected profiles, project down thru a plane. The same as if you extrude down to the surface.

Mike Mattera
    I think we are likely not talking about the same thing. Making the actual Part is not the problem here. It’s also not a problem to get the correct size shape.
    I do understand that the shape (do to wrapping it) is not on a single plane anymore. At least this is the way I take it! I’m no expert on solid rendering and don’t claim that fame I’m just confused because it did not extrude the way I thought it should. I’ll attach a screen shot to be clear.
    By the way! Thanks for the reply!! It is appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Extrusion Shape.gif  

We knew what you are trying to say, it is finding the right way to correctly explain it, to make it easily understood
    planar= select 3 points on the chained profile, if any other selected point on the profile does not lie on the plane that can be created by the first 3 points, then your profile is NOT PLANAR

Think about how to project a rectangular shape onto an egg
    -the original shape is planar, but the shape that is projected onto the egg is not planar and cannot be extruded until it is "flattened" ( like the original shape )

What Mike is saying is that you projected that shape ( slot) onto the tube, and then you are trying to extrude this new curved shape, why not extrude that original shape ( create hole ) by a certain distance or through the solid in one go (both directions) , why all this extra work ?

To put it step by step, longhand
    -you create circles to represent the tube OD & ID
    -extrude the OD to make a solid cylinder
    -extrude the ID ( create hole, through all, both directions) to turn it into a tube
    -create the slot wireframe, and place it in the correct position & rotation
    -extrude the slot wireframe ( change checkmark to create hole ),it will subtract the slot from the tube ( if you have more than 1 solid on-screen, it will ask from which solid is it to be subtracted )
    -you are left with your solid shape

if you did something wrong, use the solid manager and change the parameters or geometry ---this is the "history" of how the solid is created, or modified.
    just remember this is like the op. manager----a big red X means it is "dirty" and should be re-gened to show the correct solid model

I'm pretty sure whet your seeing there is the curvature od the surface. Curved face vs. flat geometry.

Mike Mattera

I think this is what you're trying to do. Watch this new video on YouTube.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdn01jc_5OY"]YouTube- ‪TFM - Mastercam Solid Modeling - Extrude‬‎[/nomedia]

Note: You can pick the Expand button at the lower right of the video window (in youtube) and also select 480p for a larger view.

Mike Mattera

I think this is what you're trying to do. Watch this new video on YouTube.

YouTube- ‪TFM - Mastercam Solid Modeling - Extrude‬‎

Note: You can pick the Expand button at the lower right of the video window (in youtube) and also select 480p for a larger view.

Mike Mattera
    Great Info!! Thanks for that Video.