586,104 active members*
3,367 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > New Machine Build - Need design advice

New Machine Build - Need design advice

Hi,

I am totally new to CNC world and want to build rigid CNC primary for aluminum and steel work, sometimes wood.

So, my axis: X = 78" / Y = 39" / Z = 30-35"

I am considering dual “Skate bearing” homemade system for my Y axis.
    Can someone comment on such a design, any cons, pros?

Thanks in advance

If you are wanting to do any work in steel, you need a completely different design. A heavy duty router might be able to do some light milling in aluminum. No problem in wood, but steel? Not really. There are many reasons why.

Take a look in the forums here.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=48

That link shows routers and build logs for them. Stroll through those to see what different types of designs have been used.

Now look at mills here.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=221

You will see that they are decidedly different designs and parameters.

Welcome aboard.
    Lee

you'll never be able to mill aluminum with a 30-35" long skate bearing Z axis, you'll probably have alot of trouble with wood even.

Why do you need that much Z travel?

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    No problem in wood, but steel? Not really. There are many reasons why.
    Thanks. At last I have found one thread about steel milling machine. They are huge

So for now I will limit with aluminium and wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Phife View Post
    you'll never be able to mill aluminum with a 30-35" long skate bearing Z axis, you'll probably have alot of trouble with wood even.

Why do you need that much Z travel?
    I am producing some wooden 67" benches from 1.5" planks, I am using only hand tools at the moment Also I am very interested in small aluminium parts for RC helicopters.

At this moment I am new to CNC world, but I am learning I have found lots of threads about linear motions systems but unfortunately found no information about skate bearing.

So why skate bearing is bad choice?

What is your suggestion?

So you need three machines. One giant saw bench and a drill press for making the benches. And a benchtop mill for the helicopter parts.

Benchtop mills come in different flavours. For steel - my benchtop mill has a Z travel of about 6 inches and weighs 400 pounds. The bench is another 150 pounds. I have a friend who does well with plastic and aluminium with a Taig, which is lighter. Up at your sizes it will be tons, many tons.

Quote Originally Posted by UUU View Post
    So you need three machines. One giant saw bench and a drill press for making the benches. And a benchtop mill for the helicopter parts.

Benchtop mills come in different flavours. For steel - my benchtop mill has a Z travel of about 6 inches and weighs 400 pounds. The bench is another 150 pounds. I have a friend who does well with plastic and aluminium with a Taig, which is lighter. Up at your sizes it will be tons, many tons.
    I got it

The reason for such a high Z axis was thought to upgrade my machine to 5-axis with B/C Drive in the future, at this moment I don't need such high Z-axis.

My bench have a lot of shaped parts, please take a look what I am talking about http://pdfcast.org/pdf/swing
    I need CNC only for shaped parts, straight parts not a problem for me.

Maybe such a machine would be capable for such a wooden shapes and for small aluminium parts? http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...=522970&page=3

P.S. Sorry for my poor engligh

Thank you