Thread: XZero CNC

Page 206 of 226 106156196204205206207208216
Results 4,101 to 4,120 of 4515

Re: XZero CNC

its not easy being green

Quote Originally Posted by JohninOttawa View Post
    Thanks George.

I can lower the axis, but before I do that, I want to make sure I can align it properly. It's pretty easy now with the axis flush with the bottom of the linear bearing. I lose that reference at the lower setting. What's a good alignment technique when the axis is lower?

John.
    I made a longer mounting plate that will let me lower the spindle an additional 3 1/2" if necessary. Attached is a sketch showing the hole locations for mounting a Tekno spindle. Also a pic showing the spindle mounted to the new plate.

Tramming the spindle is a 2 part process. First, you must make sure the Z axis itself travels perpendicular to the table top. Next, you have to make sure the spindle is square to the table. If anyone is interested, I'll take a few pictures to explain the process. FYI, you don't need any expensive tramming tools. A solid square, an indicator & an bent piece of 1/4" rod are all you need.

edit: sorry for poor sketch. blame the forum for rendering it like that.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2N2B9614a.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by wannabeee View Post
    I made a longer mounting plate that will let me lower the spindle an additional 3 1/2" if necessary. Attached is a sketch showing the hole locations for mounting a Tekno spindle. Also a pic showing the spindle mounted to the new plate.

Tramming the spindle is a 2 part process. First, you must make sure the Z axis itself travels perpendicular to the table top. Next, you have to make sure the spindle is square to the table. If anyone is interested, I'll take a few pictures to explain the process. FYI, you don't need any expensive tramming tools. A solid square, an indicator & an bent piece of 1/4" rod are all you need.

edit: sorry for poor sketch. blame the forum for rendering it like that.

That plate looks interesting. I'm a woodworker not a machinist, so I'm not sure if I could get your results. That said, flex has been raised as a concern with extensions. What's been your experience with the plate? What thickness and type of aluminum did you use?

Thanks. John

That plate looks interesting. I'm a woodworker not a machinist, so I'm not sure if I could get your results. That said, flex has been raised as a concern with extensions. What's been your experience with the plate? What thickness and type of aluminum did you use?

Thanks. John
    I made my own version of the raptor machine taking many concepts direct from George. Here is what I did on my z axis. I have just over 10" of travel.Attachment 286416

Thanks. John
    I made my own version of the raptor machine taking many concepts direct from George. Here is what I did on my z axis. I have just over 10" of travel.Attachment 286416

Aluminum cutting on Mini Raptor with just a Hitachi router

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11027451_10152872840396836_1961391851013843898_n.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	286440
    XZero cnc

Hmmm. Clearly you are on a different plane regarding CNC machines and machining. I'm looking for an enhancement to a stock Raptor machine. At this point I'm still hoping George can find a cost effective solution.

Good tip on an easy tram tool. Thanks!

John

Hmmm. Clearly you are on a different plane regarding CNC machines and machining. I'm looking for an enhancement to a stock Raptor machine. At this point I'm still hoping George can find a cost effective solution.

Good tip on an easy tram tool. Thanks!

John
    Hi John , i do have the extended plate that is close to the same. All spindle mounts attach to it. I think i sent you picture?
    XZero cnc

Spindle extension mount for small spindles and a Tekno mount

Name:	20150316_141832.jpg 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	286442
    XZero cnc

Hey George, do you have any dust boots for the teknomotors anf what do they cost? I didn't see it on your website

Quote Originally Posted by Padrino View Post
    Hey George, do you have any dust boots for the teknomotors anf what do they cost? I didn't see it on your website
    I have the 1/2 inch acrylic and 4 inch hose collector only, laser cut and machine for brush. .$50
    XZero cnc

What size hole or hose connection is it? Also what is the distance from where it mounts on the teknomotor to the outside face that holds the brushes? I may not have the same clearance as you do behind the spindle.

Thanks. John
    The original plate was 1/2" and mine is 5/8". I don't see or expect any problems from flex.

Padrino - your link doesn't work.

Should have been an attached photo

OT, New day, new question.

I just purchased a dial indicator, the fellow added in a box of maxi-kut fly cutters with 1/2 inch shafts, look to be Weldon shanks. I'm thinking these cannot be used in a Hitachi router and probably not on a drill press either. Before I put them up on kijiji, I thought I would check here to see what machines can take them.

Thanks

John

1/2" shank is fine in the router. weldon flats are for set screw holders, but they dont prevent the tool from being used in a collet. its a flyfutter, so you wont be spinning them fast - as slow as possible actually, so balance shouldnt matter.

That's a pleasant surprise!

What's a maximum safe speed? I ask because I have a superPID kit, which I have not installed. Base RPM for the Hitachi is around 8,000 RPM, and I have a hard time picturing this gear spinning that fast.

Appreciate the help.

John

fly cutters typically dont run more than 1000rpm. but thats limited by the cutting parameters of metal.

search online for the company that manufactures the fly cutters and they may suggest a limit. 8krm if they are set to a small diametre might be usable.

Changes to a few machines.
    Now fly cut backing on backing plate for flatness .
    Inside of uprights for mounting of ballscrew end .

Attachment 287090

Attachment 287092

Attachment 287094
    XZero cnc

Table top machined with centre braces. Will start selling machined tops again .No problems as before with the 8020 profiles. New profiles are flat and none have problems staying flat

Name:	20150717_133356.jpg 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	287096
    XZero cnc

Have now IKO , SBC blocks and rails as option now.
    SBC black rails and blocks. Stay rust free
    IKO maintenance-free 5 year 20.000KM warranty at maximum capacity , on router lucky if it is 20 % of capacity
    Here is New IKO blocks

Attachment 287098

Name:	imagejpeg_4 roller.jpg 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	287100Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imagejpeg_4 roller.jpg 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	287100
    XZero cnc

Page 206 of 226 106156196204205206207208216