586,094 active members*
3,997 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: XZero CNC

Page 224 of 226 124174214222223224225226
Results 4,461 to 4,480 of 4515

Re: XZero CNC

george's tables are custom extrusions made in toronto that only he has.

i think his are metric too though no? i think the drawing is somewhere in the depths of this thread.

FWIW I picked mine up at the machine shop that George works with directly. Nice people and they clearly know their stuff. Actually fun to see the parts being made.

I just installed the top, it went together perfect and square right out of the cartons.

I'd recommend that route to anyone thinking of a metal top.
    Cheers
    John

Quote Originally Posted by bamoore01 View Post
    Question for someone in the know. Where can one buy the material that George uses one his Al table tops. It looks to be the standard 1/4" slots. All I can find are the metric versions of the extrusions on the web.
    They would likely be metric like Georges other profiles. One thing to be aware of is that an aluminum top won't be perfectly flat. Not a huge deal if you put an mdf spoil board on top, but it would throw off tolerances if you're bolting a vice or fixture directly to the table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

O_o

that's not quite right I don't think. the tables are usually quite flat, but lest say they were out 3 thou in the middle one to the next as an example. mounting a vise would lock those top to the bottom of a heavy iron vise, pulling them dead flat.

It's an extrusion mounted to another extrusion that's anodized. If the table is flat within 10 thou it would be a miracle.

miracles abound then.

Quote Originally Posted by ihavenofish View Post
    O_o

that's not quite right I don't think. the tables are usually quite flat, but lest say they were out 3 thou in the middle one to the next as an example. mounting a vise would lock those top to the bottom of a heavy iron vise, pulling them dead flat.

Georges extrusions seem to be a little straighter than 8020, but depending on table size I'd say it would be reasonable to expect extrusions to be out between .005" -.01". True that some errors can cancel each other out, but if there's a bow chances are it would always be biased to one side. Twist is also fairly tough to measure without a very large surface plate. I would only really be concerned about this if I were cutting metal.

It wouldn't need cheap, but a plate of Mic 6 that's been drilled and tapped would be a lot easier to dial in.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew22 View Post
    Georges extrusions seem to be a little straighter than 8020, but depending on table size I'd say it would be reasonable to expect extrusions to be out between .005" -.01". True that some errors can cancel each other out, but if there's a bow chances are it would always be biased to one side. Twist is also fairly tough to measure without a very large surface plate. I would only really be concerned about this if I were cutting metal.

It wouldn't need cheap, but a plate of Mic 6 that's been drilled and tapped would be a lot easier to dial in.

I have a 1" mic6 plate on mine

but, what I meant was that any vise you have is going to pull the table dead flat to it, so adding a vise would make the table even more precise, not show more errors.

Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like the plates that George uses is one of those unobtainium things for now.

As far as how flat it is, well it seems like as long as we use Al extrusions for framing there will be flex and that has to be accounted for by doing things like machining the spoil board unless we use enough mass to make a stiff top. Not a problem. For me, the slotted Al tops are for hold down, not to true it all up..

For now it looks like a company called Isel Automation makes some extrusions that are similar. Not sure what cost is but I'll find out.

isel sells a bosch extrusion if I remember right. its quite a lot different, it is not "precision", but it should do the job if theres nothing else.

Anyone know how George is doing?
    Will someone be taking over?

i think hes still recovering. hes been active on his facebook, but i havent talked to him in a few weeks.

Anyone here spoken with George recently?

Hi guys,

Received my Raptor form George last November.

Understand and wish George all the best - but nowhere to ask what happened to my upgraded ball-screws?

Only in the last few weeks I realised the ball-screws were not upgraded as ordered. - This is my first CNC so learning as I go.

Other; Finally have assembled and calibrated with the 5mm ballscrews and now have a retirement/time to use the RAPTOR . Expect to have first use within the next 3 weeks - due to procrastinating on the spoil-board.

Cheers
    Bob T

I texted his number a month or so ago with a question about a spindle. I received a response the next morning. I have no idea if he answered that question....or a family member.

I also see posts on the XZero Facebook page from time to time. Again, not sure if he is doing that or a family member.

All I know is George looks to have a burning passion for the work he does....and for him to be off the radar this long concerns me.

Life is full of roller coasters and you just never know where a person is on their ride.

I pray for the best for he and his family.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by idoze View Post
    Hi guys,

Received my Raptor form George last November.

Understand and wish George all the best - but nowhere to ask what happened to my upgraded ball-screws?

Only in the last few weeks I realised the ball-screws were not upgraded as ordered. - This is my first CNC so learning as I go.

Other; Finally have assembled and calibrated with the 5mm ballscrews and now have a retirement/time to use the RAPTOR . Expect to have first use within the next 3 weeks - due to procrastinating on the spoil-board.

Cheers
    Bob T
    I had a similar issue, ordered upgraded 10mm X and Y ballscrews for my Raptor and only received upgraded X. George had his supplier send a new 10mm Y ballscrew but when it showed up it was another 5mm and the end was machined incorrectly. Never did end up getting it sorted out. I kept running into little issues with missing hardware so I still haven't had time to get everything sorted out to get the machine up and running after a year and a half. Although Canada is on the metric system metric hardware is a pain to source in small quantities, the local Bolt Supply and Fastenal carry very little on hand.

Does anyone have a Canadian source for 40 series t-slot nuts? Looking to get a spoilboard mounted.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Qicker306 View Post
    I had a similar issue, ordered upgraded 10mm X and Y ballscrews for my Raptor and only received upgraded X. George had his supplier send a new 10mm Y ballscrew but when it showed up it was another 5mm and the end was machined incorrectly. Never did end up getting it sorted out. I kept running into little issues with missing hardware so I still haven't had time to get everything sorted out to get the machine up and running after a year and a half. Although Canada is on the metric system metric hardware is a pain to source in small quantities, the local Bolt Supply and Fastenal carry very little on hand.

Does anyone have a Canadian source for 40 series t-slot nuts? Looking to get a spoilboard mounted.

Thanks
    lee valley has 1/4 20 t slot nuts that will fit. they are good for tables, fixtures, etc. not useful for mounting rails of course as those are M6.

Can anyone tell me what these holes are for? There are 2 sets on either end of the machine for my raptor.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170702_190637.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	366828

those are for mounting hamster wheels to turn the ball screws. its a new eco friendly upgrade.

no? ok, those are for mounting angle brackets to hold extra reinforcing extrusions (40x80 i think)

Hahaha Hamster......

Any idea if these machine come with them or are they sold separate?

Thanks.

Page 224 of 226 124174214222223224225226