586,075 active members*
4,145 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: file import

file import

I hope somebody can help me with this, I have been cutting simple parts with Turbo cnc v4.00 for some time now hand writing all the codes as they are small files. But now i want to do some font engraving and the files are to big to write by hand. They do fit on a floppy though.And there my problem starts. First i go to file, then run from file,then at the bottom right of screen i click on the box to change the C drive to the A drive (with the disk in the drive) And then the two boxes above that area says "no files" and "empty"
    Im not at all DOS savvy,so any help anyone could offer would have to be step by step. Would i have to save the file on the floppy to my C drive? And if so would it have to be a :drowning: file with a turbo or wild card extension? Thanks for any help anyone could throw my way!

How...

... are you saving the files? How is the floppy disk formatted? Do you get a confirmation that the files is actually saved? Have you tried to reload the file from where you first saved it to verify that it is on the disk? Is the read/write protection tab on the floppy set correctly?

Also, in DOS format, (non windows) have you done:

cd\A: (change to A drive)
    A:dir (get a listing of all files on the floppy disk)

If the files show up, then check the file size and make sure it seems reasonable for the file you saved...

(ie. 1K file size might not be right, so the data might not be there. 750K might be right, so the mile most likely has daya. I used these numbers as arbitrary examples of comparison... I have never checked a G-Code file fo ractual size...)

If the files did not save, reformat the floppy and re-save the file(s) and verify them again as above. If they are there, try running the program. If they are not there, try another floppy.

swarf,
    First off, I would not run from the floppy. It takes to long to read the file and the cutter will sit in one spot turning and doing nothing = ragged cut.
    What is the file extension of your g-code file? What extension do you have setup in your ini file as the extension of you g-code files? Bet the two are different. Personally, I have my cam program and TCNC setup to use .txt files. This way, I can look at and edit them in notepad real easy. Then when running, I load them into the editor and run that way. Again, then all is in memory (if you have enough) and won't have to do disk reads. My Ini file is setup to look at the cnc directory on the c drive. If you have various directorys under that, use the tab key/arrow keys or the mouse to move around (assuming V4.x)
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Talking

Thanks Bubba,
    How would i setup my ini file in turbo cnc to look to the cnc directory on my c drive? Thanks for your help.