586,103 active members*
3,670 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Joe's 4x4 hybrid build/2006 build

Okay, so I just read through the 4x4 hybrid thread (all 109 pages), and I want to finish this by next summer. I'm wondering if the "plan" set also comes with dwg's or other cad-like files, and whether the "kit" comes with "plans" as well, or if they're meant to be bought together. I have access to a few cnc's at my school, but I don't have much experience "cadding", so from what I've read, you need a dwg or solidworks file, and export to g-code or something for the cnc. I'll hopefully be buying the plans within the next few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by krap101 View Post
    Okay, so I just read through the 4x4 hybrid thread (all 109 pages), and I want to finish this by next summer. I'm wondering if the "plan" set also comes with dwg's or other cad-like files, and whether the "kit" comes with "plans" as well, or if they're meant to be bought together. I have access to a few cnc's at my school, but I don't have much experience "cadding", so from what I've read, you need a dwg or solidworks file, and export to g-code or something for the cnc. I'll hopefully be buying the plans within the next few weeks.
    I don't know the particulars about the Joe's 4x4 Hybrid plans set, but
    you will need Mach3 (Windows, $175) or EMC2 (Ubuntu Linux, free download) to run the gcode file that you create from a .dxf drawing file. These are machine controller programs.

The CamBam free beta download will create the gcode until you need something better. It doesn't expire or have code limitations. It doesn't get updated either, but it has worked fine for my needs so far.

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com