586,077 active members*
3,591 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > CamBam > Can't open/import an Inventor STL file

Can't open/import an Inventor STL file

Hi- I'm just trying out CamBam and I'm having some problems. I made a simple part (cone) in Inventor (R 2009) and then exported the part file (.ipt) as an STL file, which CamBam can apparently import. When I tried to open the file I see "Input string was not in a correct format" at the bottom of the application.

Has anybody else had similar problems? Any suggestions?

Thanks

I'm cambam user and on rare occasion i get the same error. The problem file I open in MeschLab (open source, free program) ans save as stl. Cambam is happy so i'm I...:rainfro:
    Forget about global warming...Visualize using your turn signal!

Thanks, the MeshLab workaround worked. Looks like it modified the structure of the STL file created by Inventor, and it then works with CamBam.

Apologies for this... a bug introduced in 0.9.7f when trying to read some text format STL files. Binary STL files work OK.

This bug has since been fixed in version 0.9.8
    www.cambam.co.uk

Hello All, I'm in the learning process of the CAD >> CAMBAM process and have found that I have ( I think ) the same problem as described so far. I get the error of "input string not in correct format" when trying to import an AutoCad .dxf file. I've tried saving various flavors of the .dxf ( ie different autocad versions, as well as binary and ascii types as well) Get the same error. I've downloaded the latest locked version of the CAMBAM code...so any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Addional info>> I've also tried the latest development release as well. Same error.

New News >> I shutdown and restarted the programs. Using the latest dev. release and importing an AutoCad 12 ASCII .dxf file I was successful in importing and being able to manipulate the drawing and machining assignments. So far so good..

CamBam can not currently read binary format DXF files.

Text format DXF up to ACAD 2000 is the preferred option.

More file formats are planned for 0.9.9 - we will look into adding binary dxf support.
    www.cambam.co.uk

current Status -

Thanks 10Bulls for the prompt reply - I've muddled through all the file type options one at a time, and have managed to export a workable file to Mach3 and have successfully cut a part with the design. I like the CAMBAM layout and useability, and working through the sample program examples> ie the stepper motor bracket < illustrated the steps necessesary to create a part file. I'm sure I'll be back at the trough for more tips and guidance as I forge ahead with this project, so thanks again for the support.
    Mike