586,113 active members*
3,212 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Number 9 is here and on its stand :-)

Number 9 is here and on its stand :-)

Number 9 is here and on its stand :-)

I guess mine is serial number 000009 of the NM200 v2 series.

First, I was lucky to have a delivery company with a proper sized lift gate that reached about 8ft from the back of the truck. (Thank you Vitran Express, and especially... Tony and Dave from Central Island Distributors!) The driver backed up on my -15 deg. sloping driveway and lowered the gate to my 8ft wide garage door. Dave promptly rolls off the small crates first and large crate last. Within 10-15 minutes I was happily tugging away at the crate straps unpacking my goodies.

Just as member JoeBean has stated the crate with the mill is oversize for most any engine hoist. I have one of those that he describes in his post where the base legs are flared outward. To overcome reaching the mill as he has described I removed the wheels from my hoist and let the legs rest on the pallet. That way I could push the hoist close enough to reach a near overhead position for my hook/load leveler rig. Repeatedly lifting the mill and while in the air pulling it toward the hoist and lowering it. I managed to walk it off the pallet and on to stacked pieces of wood. Keeping it high enough to clear the hoist legs when I lowered it. I also placed wood to support the base of the hoist legs as they cleared the pallet.

Once clear I then removed the pallet and replaced the wheels on my hoist. Hoisted the mill at full extension on to the stand, and was done by myself within 4-5 hours.

WORD OF CAUTION (NOT for the un-brave)

I'll tell you...... not fun! My hoist was at its limit twisting in the wind. My sweetheart walked in just after I lowered the mill on to the stand and said I look kinda ashen.... really... imagine that! Oh well... its done.

Second, Thank you Khai at Novakon for all your help and quick response.

Will keep you all at the Zone posted as to my setup and findings.

Regards,

R

Sounding good! Did you remember to level the base before installation?

Most shop cranes are rated at only 1/2 imperial ton at full extension, or 1000lb, and the mill is a fair bit more than that (the "specs" say 1250 lbs or so). I have a crane available that's rated at 1 ton full extension, but even with that I was uncomfortable lifting at full extension even a few inches off the ground, so I can imagine the thrill ride you must have went through! If you have to do it again you might try a couple tricks that I've seen used when forced to lift heavy loads with cranes:
    1. Re-inforce the inside channel (the one that extends outward) of your lift with either another smaller piece of channel, or we used to use 2 pieces of angle iron welded together like a Z so that it would slide in easily with about 1/4" clearance.
    2. Use chains or a come-along on the top of the vertical "beam" at the back down to a chain wrapped between the rear of the 2 legs, helping gird up the 2 small arms that extend down there.

Those 2 modifications would allow us to lift substantially more weight, but at greater risk, of course. The biggest problems then become your jack not having enough power to lift the weight (I've seen one give out at 1 ton over weight limit - frightening to say the least), and that when you're lifting it very high the whole unit becomes unstable as everything flexes, and you risk toppling.

I don't even try those types of lifts anymore, too heart-stopping for me. Gantry cranes are much nicer to use in those situations. But, of course, high limits can be the problem then.

I ll be interested to see how your spindle operates. How hot the bearings are etc.

Good luck and congrats !

Quote Originally Posted by g29cc View Post
    I ll be interested to see how your spindle operates. How hot the bearings are etc.
    So am I. I asked Khai when version 2 came out if they just changed the pulley ratio for the 6k spindle speed and kept the same spindle.

He told me they upgraded the spindle, and I assume a new motor. I did also ask what the duty cycle was on the new spindle and he couldn't tell me. Not so good.

When you say duty cycle, are you referring to continuous run time on the spindle at xxxx rpm ?

I have run my machine without stop at 4000 rpm continuously for 5-6 hours at a time ( non stop running ). It was warm to the touch. But I haven't had a problem yet.

Quote Originally Posted by g29cc View Post
    When you say duty cycle, are you referring to continuous run time on the spindle at xxxx rpm ?

I have run my machine without stop at 4000 rpm continuously for 5-6 hours at a time ( non stop running ). It was warm to the touch. But I haven't had a problem yet.
    FWIW The spindle manufacturers have a thread I found the other day:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93745

The NM-200 is the 2.2kW version. A number seem to have had success with it.