Hi everyone,

I have been researching CNC stuff like crazy for the past couple of months since I haven't been able to get a shop to make my parts for a reasonable cost (or at all). Being totally new to CNC I read everything I could on line, ordered supplier catalogs to skim, watched every CNC video and tutorial on the internet, and even may enroll in some machine shop classes at the local university. I initially contemplated converting a Bridgeport type knee mill until I discovered the Tormach. The size and "plug and play" interface attracted me as I'm not interested in futzing around with an expensive frustration and having inventor/R&D pursuits I need to be making chips instead for prototyping and small production runs. Pretty much decided on the Tormach so I read every page on that forum. Then I read about the Mikini and checked out the comparison chart and am now wondering if this is the machine for me for approximately the same cost.

It has a smaller footprint than the PCNC 1100 which is great for my small garage, full enclosure, faster rapids, more HP, and purportedly more repeatability, precision, accuracy, and rigidity.

I have no tooling whatsoever other than a dial caliper and a spare desktop computer with AutoCAD 2005 (and decent working knowledge of how to use it). So I am essentially starting from scratch (I also have no CAM or controller software other than the free MACH3 and LazyCAM demo)

I'm interested in learning more from you guys about this machine and if it is right for me. I'll probably need to purchase it sometime within the next few months to get my stuff going, as a friend has said, right now I'm like an artist with no paint brush. I've got a lot of ideas and one thing that is already designed, prototyped, tested, and ready for small production runs. BTW what I mostly intend to cut is 4140 steel with some 3D contouring and I'm afraid of it taking FOREVER per part, as well as 6061 and 7075 aluminum. What do all of you have to say about the Mikini 1610L (especially in regards to the Tormach PCNC 1100 or others)? Thanks!