586,103 active members*
3,013 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Which drawing/solid modelling package

Which drawing/solid modelling package

Hi,

Looking for some general opinions for solid modelling and drawing packages.

I currently manufacture aerospace engine components and use Edgecam for machining and Edgecams Part modeller package for creating solids and drawings.

I am finding the Part modeller package pretty poor when trying to create more complex models and find when creating a drawing from a solid that there is bugs ie . sections disappearring, poor dimensioning functionallity.

Anyway, I would like peoples input as to what the best package out there is for modelling and creating 2D drawings and drawings from models. I am not creating massive assemblys or anything. Is it solidworks, Inventor or A.N other?

The drawing side of it has to be good as this is the main area for looking for another package.

The requirements are as follows.

1. Has to be able to insert into Edgecam CAM package.
    2. Has to be able to create drawing templates and create 2d drawings and drawings from solids easily, with easy dimensioning functionallity, including geometric tolerances and sectioning.
    3.Create 3d complex Aero engine components easily.

Try Alibre ( www.alibre.com ) I have been using Expert for almost 4 years and it works great for a fraction of the price of solidworks or alike. There is also a great community for additional support.

Quote Originally Posted by fitzpatrick2362 View Post
    The requirements are as follows.
    1. Has to be able to insert into Edgecam CAM package.
    2. Has to be able to create drawing templates and create 2d drawings and drawings from solids easily, with easy dimensioning functionallity, including geometric tolerances and sectioning.
    3.Create 3d complex Aero engine components easily.

1. It should be able to Export and Import models in a format, reliably, that is also supported in EdgeCAM --- I suggest STEP, PARASOLID or IGES for 3D models. And DXF/DWG for 2D drawings
    ( don't consider STL formats for any reason ). This would make you more capable of linking with other software ( read this as "clients" )
    2. the main critria.
    3. your kidding, aren't you ?

Aero part orders are usually accompanied with a model ( you should be able to read their formats as well ( Catia V4/V5, UG, ProE ) or be able to add these to the desired software. These convertors should also be at the latest release level

I've been using Solidworks for about 12 yrs. I've come across other designers who have used other 3d CADD programs and they have liked SW and it's ease of use.
    I seek to assist with Tooling fixture...Can I help you?

Edgecam is rubbish at moddeling.

We use Visi by Vero for our moddeling as well as there Cam package for milling and Edgecam for turning operations.

I beleive Visi and Edgecam use the same CAM backend for their own front end. no integration but you can output in most formats with options to open additional formats.

We us Inventor at work, love it beats the heck out of trying to use Pro/E. I've never used Solidworks yet but from what I here they are pretty much the some for easy of use. But we use InventorCam (SolidCam) for all are Programming. It really makes it very nice to not have to import / export files, I can work in assembly mode and add clamps and fixtures, I can update my toolpaths very quickly after design changes, etc. So far, I am really hooked on the integrated system!

requirements

Create 3d complex Aero engine components easily.
    Did it
    Modeling and creating 2D drawings and drawings from models.
    Doing it easily

(I can hear the laughing already,,,,)
    I've been doing this on a PC at home with Cadkey 19 (on WinNT4.0)
    With it I can model turbine blades, hubs, gearboxes, structural, composite molds, master models, lofting, concrete and structural steel, buildings, houses, etc.
    Then do the tooling, and export to any cam system.
    It's just geometry and lots of it.

No reason for the high end cad system as this one can do it all without the "eye candy" The "Old school Cad" is capable and works.
    Been doing this too long