586,096 active members*
3,396 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Double sided carpet tape

I have been using 3M double sided tape for parts holdown - especially aluminum sheet or fiberglass sheet. Since all my work is cut through I really haven't been able to use vacuum effectively.

Anyways the 3M tape is expensive, so I decided to try carpet tape. I went to the local hardware store and bought a couple of different brands. Both worked just fine. However, when it came time to pull off the tape - it turned out one brand was a nightmare. Its adhesive was very sticky. It took a long time to clean up my parts, trying everything from lacquer thinner, acetone, xylene and methyl hydrate. Took a lot of elbow grease.

Sorry to say the brand name was not printed on the inside of the roll. So make sure you experiment first before committing to using any particular tape.

Alternatives...

Just thought I would let you know the brands that I have used in the past. Permacel is AWESOME. It sticks great and comes off with Isopropyl Alcohol. It is pricey, but it holds great. There is also a brand that is a little cheaper called Reel. I couldn't seem to find them online. Happy hunting.

Good to know some names. The 3M and the other brand of tape I used did not require any chemicals to remove.

I use golf club grip tape from Golfsmith. It's similar to tan colored masking tape, but stronger and stickier (and double sided). As long as you don't leave it on for a few days, it comes off easily.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Did you try Goo Gone on the "stubborn" one? That stuff works wonders...

Quote Originally Posted by analogman View Post
    I have been using 3M double sided tape for parts holdown - especially aluminum sheet or fiberglass sheet. Since all my work is cut through I really haven't been able to use vacuum effectively.

Anyways the 3M tape is expensive, so I decided to try carpet tape. I went to the local hardware store and bought a couple of different brands. Both worked just fine. However, when it came time to pull off the tape - it turned out one brand was a nightmare. Its adhesive was very sticky. It took a long time to clean up my parts, trying everything from lacquer thinner, acetone, xylene and methyl hydrate. Took a lot of elbow grease.

Sorry to say the brand name was not printed on the inside of the roll. So make sure you experiment first before committing to using any particular tape.
    I've been using an Ace Hardware brand that is similarly sticky. Naphtha wipes it right off. I swear that stuff's the original Goo Gone.

I sometimes use the double sided tape that comes with the Window Insulation Film, the clear plastic sheet you use in the winter to cover your windows.

The tape that comes with is is sold separatly and is very sticky, double sided, cheap, and best of all, comes off cleanly.

If your looking for an alternate to tape try a pin nailer. I pen the pattern first just to make sure I don't run into a pin then fire a few pins in various locations, including any internal shapes that are fully cut through. The pins are very secure but leave a very small hole in the work. pry the work off and either pull the pins out of the spoil board or dremel them down below the surface. I'm using pins on 3/32 to 3/8 burch ply. btw my cad/cam doesn't easily add tabs to the shape which might prevent the need to pin internal to the cut shape.

I've used a double sided tape from the TapeIT brand. Felt like a double sided vynal tape like if you would have taken black electrical tape and double sided it. Maybe was a little thinner then that would have been.

Course the tape roll came with some other stuff I got so not sure the exact type seeing it dind't have a part number printed on the roll. Some day I'll try to contact TapeIt to try to get some more.

b./

Woodcraft has a tape they use for wood turning on lathe.

It's called MillSpec. I use it for holding down aluminum.

No movement, or residue, holds big time.

Wipe both surfaces with alcohol first.