586,753 active members*
7,216 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Manufacturing Engineer

Alliance Compressors, a joint venture between Emerson/Copeland (www.gotoemerson.com), Lennox (www.lennox.com), and Trane (www.Trane.com) engages in the high volume manufacturing of air compressors for the AC industry.

The Manufacturing Engineer will maintain and enhance scroll machining processes, actively pursue cost reductions, reduce scrap, improve productivity and lead plant Lean initiatives.

Requirements:
    Bachelor's Degree in Engineering required, plus 5 years experience in high volume CNC machining environment.

Must be proficient in programming CNC lathes and milling machines.

Must know cutting tools and fixture design.

Knowledge of Lean Manufacturing a plus.

Travel 5%

To complete online application, please click the link - http://www.mycareernetwork.com/clien...96857&cid=2756

It is the policy of Alliance Compressors concerning Equal Employment Opportunity to continue and extend its efforts to recruit, hire, train and promote for all job classifications without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, veterans status, or any other characteristics protected by law.

If you require an accomodation to assist you with applying for jobs at Alliance Compressors, please call 318-356-4600.

To bad, I dont have my bachelors yet.

m98custom1212 -

Some companies are very stodgy and INSIST that you have that degree.
    However, more companies today recognize that experience counts for a whole lot more.
    Consider that they want someone who is proficient in programming, tooling, fixture design, and machining in a high volume environment. If you could obtain any of that from a bachelors program, I would be surprised. I would be even more surprised if you would be an expert in all those areas after only 5 years on the floor. After being in the industry for over 30 years, I can assure you that nobody calls me because of my degree in a specific area or lack therof. Take a chance!

Quote Originally Posted by sld4121 View Post
    m98custom1212 -

Some companies are very stodgy and INSIST that you have that degree.
    However, more companies today recognize that experience counts for a whole lot more.
    Consider that they want someone who is proficient in programming, tooling, fixture design, and machining in a high volume environment. If you could obtain any of that from a bachelors program, I would be surprised. I would be even more surprised if you would be an expert in all those areas after only 5 years on the floor. After being in the industry for over 30 years, I can assure you that nobody calls me because of my degree in a specific area or lack therof. Take a chance!
    You would think this to be the case. It's becoming more of just the opposite. I think it's due to the HR people. Many are straight out of college and don't realize someone with 25 years of experience can make more money for a company immediately over the newby.

I have 28 years in the machining Industry, owned a CNC machine shop. Worked for the three biggest carbide mfg in NA as a service engineer. Yet due to the lack of my degree, I can't even get a interview.

Same holds true for age. I wanted a job for health insurance at age 60. Even though I had all the paper work they wanted, I wasn't hired by a company using specialized machinery. I was told I wouldn't be able to understand the operation of the equipment because it was controlled by computers.

What the recent college graduate HR gate keeper didn't know was I designed the machine 2 years prior.

At least she didn't use the word "overqualified", code for "too old".

Dick Z
    DZASTR

I mean, I have alot of cnc experience. I just don't have bachelors in mechanical engineering yet

Yes. They want someone 25 years old with 10 years of experience in the field and a College degree. :-)

You know... someone who started their career when they were 6.

Mike
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

I have 5 years of engineering experience and I just got my B.S. in ME. Lucky for me I worked multiple part time engineering jobs while going to school. Also took a year off during engineering school to work roughly 100 hours/week at two engineering jobs (not 100 each, 100 total). Of course, I regularly worked 40 hours a week during engineering school, so that wasn't really that big of a deal. I worked my ass off because I know that experience counts way more than a degree, but I was able to get good grades and get more out of my education than others in my program because of the experience I had. It was worth it too since I have a job I love AND has very good compensation AND is challenging/new problems to solve.

So basically I agree that experience is worth way more. And coming out of undergraduate education, even tinkering is worth a LOT. I was hired for my current job (building electronics for biomed researchers and doing microfabrication/microfluidics) mostly because I did a lot of electronics as a extracurricular hobby, but it was in industry that I got over my fear of electronics in the first place.

Okay... now I feel like I'm bragging or something stupid...not the intent.:drowning::drowning:

Here here, to all the above comments. My thoughts exactly.
    The irony is, at the end of the job description they mention they dont disciminate on race sex etc, and yet they discriminate against those who are probably the best people for the job.
    Go figure !!!!
    Being outside the square !!!

Keeps the HR folks busy looking for replacements for the inexperienced failures. It's called HR job security. LOL

Dick Z
    DZASTR

Well 38 and disabled

I really want to re train in cnc I am a IT network tech and I am good at my job but I love making things and want to learn. can I get anywhere even on inimum wage I would take it and I have a hell of a lot more comman sense than most of the schools an unis turn out these days.
    Oh I can weld thin place and long time ago was pretty nifty with the gas stuff as well not that I think it is used now lol

Quote Originally Posted by Zippythestick View Post
    They insist on the sheep skin, But they have no idea just the kind of talent they are over looking just becuase the chairmen of the board requires that you be a member of the "Ole Boys Club"
    The company I work for has none of that stuffy crap going on. I have 32 years behind me in this bis, I will do circles around any of you sheep skin punks. While you are standing around with your spread sheets and your shannin green belt, I all ready got to the root cause< Came up with the corrective action and I am moving onto the next problem that by the way was created by some 30 year old snot nose with 10 years of school and 2 weeks of practical exspireince.
    I know what some of you snot noses are thinking I cant spell or punctuate, So what I make 70 grand a year and I dontb have 150,000 in school loans to pay back.

So to all you CEO's out there that need that sheep skin to keep that warm n fuzzy feeling that you are getting the top of the line I say "BLOW ME"

Wow did I need to get that off my chest

Thanks, Zippy

While commenting on one problem, you point out another. Old timers that think young guys are unskilled and incapable of doing your job. While i agree that there is nothing a piece of paper can give you that experience can't. I think its a joke that people like you talk **** on the young guys that are getting the good jobs because they have degree. I am young and dont have a degree. It keeps me from getting jobs that i am capable of and it keeps me from making the money i should. However, I am smart enough to realize that they dont think that a degree makes you more qualified or smarter. A degree shows you have initiative and are willing to learn. They like hiring the young people out of school because they are willing to learn and they are able to mold them into what they want.

I work in a company where the average age is pushing 55. I'm the youngest in the company and have been ever since i sarted 5 yrs ago. The older guys fight me constantly because i do things different than they have for the last 25 yrs. Well its time some of you pull your head out of you ass and see what us young guys bring to the table. Dont write someon off bc of their age. You all complain they do it to you bc your older and you do the same. I butted heads with the same older guy for three yrs. Now he's the only production guy i will work with. He realized i know my **** and we work together using his expreience and my knowledge of new technology and materials.

I understand your point but your a jack ass at the same time. Because i gurantee you don't know everything but apparently you think you do.