586,114 active members*
3,255 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Selling my X2 - How to get rid of it?!
Page 1 of 2 12

Selling my X2 - How to get rid of it?!

Hi all; I'm selling my X2 so I can put the money towards paying off my new mill and some needed tooling and materials. To that end, I posted an ad in Craiglist which garnered some interest but I'm clearly doing something wrong to sell it.

I advertised it at 2k for the mill with belt-drive upgrade, the computer/monitor/mouse w/Mach 3 included, and the enclosure (not quite finished) with flood coolant system. Basically a whole turn-key system that you could run right out the door.

I looked into freight shipping it - looks like about 450 bucks if I include the enclosure and build a pallet for it. Am I crazy to think I could get $2500 if I put it on ebay and include shipping in the price?

For those of you that have sold these small machines, what is a fair price? 2k seemed more than reasonable to me but maybe it's too much? I'd like to move it for space if nothing else but I'm not desperate so I don't need to sell it for a massive loss. Any advice on this? Thanks!

-Mike

thats not the one that was posted on the Atlanta CL or maybe athens, was it?
    http://www.g0704.blogspot.com/

Nope, Kansas City. You interested?

LoL, sorry but $2500 would "pimp my G0704"
    http://www.g0704.blogspot.com/

The skill set to operate a CNC mini-mill is a little unique, and I don't think your average craigslist reader would have any idea what to do with it. If they did, then they could build it themselves and have control over all the parts.

If I were you, I'd call the enclosure a loss, convert the mill back to manual, and sell the CNC parts here.

But $2K for a Mini-Mill.... I paid $1100 for my used ball-screw/servo driven/ready to mill X3.

-Jim

Just look at what $2500 would get you in a used machine then compare it to what you're offering. X2's are good little mills but not worth that much.

A home modified mini-mill isn't likely to fetch anywhere near the sum of it's parts. Personally I'd hang on to it as a backup rather than drop to a give away price. Then again I'm a pack rat with plenty of storage space so possibly not the best person to advise
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Yeah, I have to say... for that money I can put together a really nice mill exactly my way and not have to worry too much about what I'm getting in an as-is sale. This is a case where I think you would do better to part it out. Folks looking for a turn-key are not likely to consider a no-support used machine from a stranger.

Just adding the price of all the parts together and leaving out shipping or taxes to see what I've spent and it comes out to more than 2k already - I was already assuming a loss on the enclosure and other parts.

Mach 3 - $175
    X2 Mill - $600
    CNCFusion kit w/ballscrews - $625
    Belt drive upgrade - $129
    G540 - $290
    3 x 380oz/in steppers - $150
    power supply - $50

All of that comes out to $2019. That means this is all free:
    Labor to convert/setup/configure/tune - $0
    Computer/monitor/mouse/keyboard/OS - $0
    Flood coolant system - $0
    Enclosure - $0

The $2k price came about because I saw someone on eBay selling a new X2 already converted but missing the computer and associated bits for $2500 including shipping. I figure I throw a working Mach 3 license and computer along with enclosure and flood in there and I can get away with 2k sans shipping, apparently not.

What do you guys feel is a fair asking price then? I really need the space and to be honest, I don't want to keep two machines because all of my fixtures will be designed for the much bigger machine - if it breaks down, I'd still not be able to really make up the difference with the X2 so it won't effectively serve as back up either way. It's a great little machine and I'm sorry to see it go, but I'm desperate for the space and I know I won't use it once I have the huge machine.

Thanks!

-Mike

I've been in your shoes before. You can try to sell it as a package but you're either going to need to wait a long time or have a fire sale.

What has worked best for me is to convert the machine back to manual to sell on Craigslist and part out the rest on eBay.

The key to getting a good price is to maximize the number of potential buyers. There are vastly more guys doing manual than CNC and a clean mini-machine can get a good price. Likewise, there are a lot of guys out there looking for a G540 and motors for the mill they already have. By selling each of the major components individually, you reach more people, and more buyers = better price.

Another issue is that in a sale like this, there's really no warranty a buyer can rely on, which adds a HUGE risk. I would be a lot more willing to take a chance on a $300 component than a $2000 one. If you've sold on eBay before and have a good reputation that could make a big difference.

As for the "free" stuff, my sad experience has been that people value computers, enclosures, etc. at $0. As a result I never sell them. Everybody thinks they build these things for a lot less than they end up costing.

To be honest, I don't want to bother taking the time to convert it back to manual - i'd rather eat the big loss then spend the day it will take me run it all back again and then eat medium size loses on every individual part. We have a Maker Faire here this weekend and I think maybe I'll set the machine up as a demonstration there with a big sale sign on it - lots of $1000+ cupcake machines and such will be sold so I'm sure a 1500-2000 "real machine" has a good chance. Maybe I'll engrave little keychain tags while I'm there to give away to get some interest in it

-Mike

A maker fair sound like a great place to unload it. As far as pricing I generally start at 60% of new retail pricing.

Yeah, a Maker Faire is pretty much an ideal opportunity. Lots of potential buyers who can see the machine running, and hopefully keep freight out of the picture.

The only problem I see is that most people aren't going to have access to that much cash, so you're going to be stuck transacting the deal after the show. If you can work out a deal with a vendor who has a POS terminal you might be better off.

I hate to break it to you

But the Maker's Faire is not a free venue where you can show up with your used equipment to try and sell it. It's a for-profit venture where booths cost more than you're trying to get for that machine, unless you're chosen as a "maker" and given a free spot.

Maybe you can try the Classifieds section of this site.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

The only problem I see is that most people aren't going to have access to that much cash, so you're going to be stuck transacting the deal after the show. If you can work out a deal with a vendor who has a POS terminal you might be better off.
    This is a good point but I can take credit cards no problem through my business - I'll remember to advertise that as well. I'm not worried about selling after the show - I just want to get eyeballs looking at the danged thing.
    But the Maker's Faire is not a free venue where you can show up with your used equipment to try and sell it. It's a for-profit venture where booths cost more than you're trying to get for that machine, unless you're chosen as a "maker" and given a free spot.
    Actually our fair is "not-for-profit" and is being run in conjunction with a local festival the city puts on. I'm already a member of several of the groups showing at the fair - I've also already been given a booth spot to do this little milling demo in the pavilion. I'm going to be milling and engraving tokens that I give away to people so they can trade them with others - something that was pretty popular at the Bay Area faire. I just called and got permission to try and sell my machine at the same time. They were actually pretty excited that I was going to bring a real machine and not a Cupcake or MakerBot machine (there are a pair of those going to be at the fair too but they are too slow to make much in real-time for a demo unlike my X2).

Thanks for all the input everyone!

-Mike

Quote Originally Posted by webgeek View Post
    Just adding the price of all the parts together and leaving out shipping or taxes to see what I've spent and it comes out to more than 2k already - I was already assuming a loss on the enclosure and other parts.

Mach 3 - $175
    X2 Mill - $600
    CNCFusion kit w/ballscrews - $625
    Belt drive upgrade - $129
    G540 - $290
    3 x 380oz/in steppers - $150
    power supply - $50

All of that comes out to $2019. That means this is all free:
    Labor to convert/setup/configure/tune - $0
    Computer/monitor/mouse/keyboard/OS - $0
    Flood coolant system - $0
    Enclosure - $0

The $2k price came about because I saw someone on eBay selling a new X2 already converted but missing the computer and associated bits for $2500 including shipping. I figure I throw a working Mach 3 license and computer along with enclosure and flood in there and I can get away with 2k sans shipping, apparently not.

What do you guys feel is a fair asking price then? I really need the space and to be honest, I don't want to keep two machines because all of my fixtures will be designed for the much bigger machine - if it breaks down, I'd still not be able to really make up the difference with the X2 so it won't effectively serve as back up either way. It's a great little machine and I'm sorry to see it go, but I'm desperate for the space and I know I won't use it once I have the huge machine.

Thanks!

-Mike
    You are going to let the Mach 3 license go and buy another one?

Garry

My new mill comes with the computer and Mach 3 already so I can let it go no problem.

-Mike

Just an update - the machine sold today to someone from the Maker Faire. He is coming to pick it up tomorrow with the full asking price in hand. Being able to make a part while he watched was danged useful. Using the machine all the time makes it easy to forget how cool it is to see a plate of aluminum become a final part. Thanks much for the advice!

-Mike

Glad you got your price, must admit I'm a bit surprised. I have a much larger mill on order and a friend has been asking about my X2. I suspect he's hoping for the 'buddy price'. Maybe I'll point him to this thread

Thanks for the update and good luck with your new mill.
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Look through some of the older posts on here...
    There was an ME Student looking for a CNC Mill
    Maybe you can help each other out ?
    www.CNC-Joe.com
    CNC Is Not Just My Passion.. It's My Addiction !!!!

Page 1 of 2 12