586,080 active members*
3,468 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Parts For JGRO

Well I am about to take the plunge and attempt a build of the JGRO Router. I am in the process of sourcing out materials and supplies and as I read through the plans I didn't see a part # for the flanged bearing from Mcmaster & Carr. I did a search at their website but that only confused me (more than I already am, that is). Does anyone know what that part # is?

Also, I have a small supply of UHMW plastic on hand which I'm thinking may be a better material for the adjustment blocks than MDF. Also, could UHMW be substituted for the delrin in the anti backlash nuts and the anti whip block?

Love this site and I am sure I'll be posting again looking for more advice as the build progresses

I think the part number you're looking for is 6383K12 (for 1/4"). You can search for "Steel Semi-Precision Ball Bearings" or catalog page 1014. I know that when I started I had the same question and answered it by reading Jgro's original thread. Its near the end but he also give a part number for the aluminum channel.

I'm pretty sure that UHMW can be substitued. I think some people have even used plastic cutting boards.

I hope this helps.

I think the part number you're looking for is 6383K12 (for 1/4").

Thanks for the info Ignatz. I think the correct number for the flanged bearing is 6383K13, but the info you provided sent me to the right page . Thanks again.

I will be starting the build soon and will probably start a build log with photos etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayjay
    Well I am about to take the plunge and attempt a build of the JGRO Router. I am in the process of sourcing out materials and supplies and as I read through the plans I didn't see a part # for the flanged bearing from Mcmaster & Carr. I did a search at their website but that only confused me (more than I already am, that is). Does anyone know what that part # is?

Also, I have a small supply of UHMW plastic on hand which I'm thinking may be a better material for the adjustment blocks than MDF. Also, could UHMW be substituted for the delrin in the anti backlash nuts and the anti whip block?

Love this site and I am sure I'll be posting again looking for more advice as the build progresses
    yes i use the poly for my adjustment blocks and it works great. infact i will be cutting the whole machine out of 3/4" Polyetheline. and sell them. It will be the size of my new machine.

Joe,

Interesting idea about the polyethlene (UHMW?). Will it be ridgid enough? How easily does it machine?

Dave

It works really well, its HD Poly.

a bit more expensive than mdf.... found a 3/4"x54"x96" sheet for $259 or a 1" think sheet for $345

They show this stuff being used for boat ladders so it must be strong

Check out McMaster Carr

http://www.mcmaster.com/itm/find.ASP...tring=8619K118

3/4 thick 4 X 8 sheet of HDPE $185.23. I think this should be ridgid enough.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Ursine
    Check out McMaster Carr

http://www.mcmaster.com/itm/find.ASP...tring=8619K118

3/4 thick 4 X 8 sheet of HDPE $185.23. I think this should be ridgid enough.

Dave
    With shipping it would be expensive unless you are local to them. I get it local for 188 a sheet and they cut it for me into (4) 24"x48" pieces and fits right on my cnc machine.

I will be offering my machine completely cut out of this or any parts people like, would make good linier bearing block supports or any other things people that are interested. Will make an excelent machine, just add motors and controllor

[QUOTE=joe2000che]With shipping it would be expensive unless you are local to them. I get it local for 188 a sheet and they cut it for me into (4) 24"x48" pieces and fits right on my cnc machine.

That is the size I am building..... but I am going 4' on the Y axis (gantry width) and 2' on X for possible future expansion .... easier to build a new 8' table than having to rebuild both!