586,082 active members*
3,831 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > Hobby Discussion > Simple wiring question (chinese power supply)

Simple wiring question (chinese power supply)

Hello,

I have just about completed setting up my cheapo chinese cnc engraver but am confused about the 'instructions' the vendor sent me. I am asking here because the vendor is slow to respond and there is a language barrier.

I attached the picture instructions... From this I am supposed to connect the 'select' terminals with some wire and then it should be good for 110v power on the ACin terminals?

I am not familiar with this sort of stuff so I'm just learning as I go. I'll be amazed if I get this working without blowing something.

roark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails connection.jpg  

That would be my understanding too.

Looks right to me, and it's a pretty common method of selecting different voltage.

However, if you aren't prepared to blow it up, I would wait for clarification from the vendor or have someone translate the documentation.

Just make sure those 110V-select terminals are bridged and you should be fine.

Also, when firing up the PSU for the first time. Don't have your precious electronics hooked up to it. If you blow it up, don't let it take something else with it to the afterlife. Not to scare you, it's just better to be safe in these situations.

I'm in agreement with kineticstep and monstrum. Put a wire between the two select terminals and connect your AC pigtail cord to the AC IN terminals. The select jumper just reconfigures the input circuitry for the voltage you are operating the power supply on. It's equivalent to the red 110v/220v slide switches you see on PC power supplies and other modular power supplies.

If you are looking at the DC output with a voltmeter when you turn it on, it may not go to the correct output voltage until there is a small load on the output. It depends on the regulator circuit design.

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com