586,106 active members*
3,134 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > servo motor specs and help

servo motor specs and help

hey guys, im pretty new to all this, and i did about 6 months or research.

i just came upon a surplus lot of about 200 medium to large stepper and servo motors. this was just what i was looking for to do a CNC conversion for my harbor freight mill.

anyways, im looking through the stock for the best motor(s) for my needs. i have a HF 33686 (also known as the grizzly G1005), and there is an enco model as well. i will primarily do aluminum and wood. no steel, brass or other harder metals.

here are the motors that seem to work out ok... i have like 5 of the same ones, so they might work well. and they are medium to medium large so they shouldnt be too hard to drive (i hope). they are Litton Clifton precision, brushless DC. they are a custom made motor, but i found some specs on the generic line:

http://www.litton.ch/uk_automation/p...heets/bn42.pdf

i have series BN42. the model is BN42-53AD-04CHE. is this a motor that could work? is it too big, too small, etc? i have TONS of these things, and it would take me forever to go through them all, but i want to find two that will work for X and Y, and one for Z (possibly a different, smaller one).

if anyone needs more info, im sure i could contact the vendor for more information. thanks a lot everyone.

edit:

i should add that most all the motors i have include HP HEDM-5600 B06 encoders. i couldnt find a whole lot on them, other than they are 2 channel encoders, whatever that means will those work?

can anyone help me out with this? i am going to sell off the motors i dont need, but i need to know which to keep and which to sell. thanks!

A 2 channel encoder has two channels that are out of phase and can be used to determine speed AND direction. A single channel encoder can only be used to determine speed.

You'll need a brushless drive to run a brushless motor (a Gecko G320 won't work). Something like the R992H drive from Rutex (http://www.rutex.com/pdf/R992H.pdf).

I found this datasheet too: http://www.polysci.com/docs/mosilencerseries.pdf. BN42 is near the bottom, but the 04 winding series aren't listed, so it's anyone's guess what the operating voltage is. You'll probably want to contact PolySci or Litton to get a real datasheet for your specific model.

If you do get the datasheet, let me know. I'm definitely interested in them.

Chris

i think i have like 5 of them. so, i could easily use some and sell the others for a full x-axis machine (i would only use them for x and y and something else for z).

ill see what i can do for a datasheet or something. is there a mechanical way to find out specs? ie - measuring resistance, etc... or just hooking up a variac?