586,043 active members*
3,625 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Zayer Knuckle Head

Hi ,

I normally use a cincinatti arrow1500 Fanuc 18 but friend of mind just bought a 5 axis Zayer bed mill, fanuc 15m with a knuckle head, and wants me to operate it.

I need to rotate the b axis to use it as a horizontal machine, I can rotate the head but how do you get it so the machine thinks z is horizontal ? ( or any other angle )

Would i be right in G68 ?

There is a setup page with heaps of vairiables that look like they may need to be changed.

A program example would be good.

Regards

Landyman.

I am a bit confused on what exactly you are asking. Are you trying to have the machine think that Z is horizontal and be able to program the Z which will move it up and down? This is not possible. Z is Z no matter what.

Now if you are referring to what the machine thinks when it comes to drilling in a canned cycle or using circle interpolation then you can switch the planes that you are on with G17,G18,G19. If you have a B axis I ass u me you are referring to a rotary table? If so then what are you using the G68 on?

Stevo

Hi stevo
    I need to drill and counterbore pcd of holes in the horizontal ( x + direction ), don't have a rotary table, but the head can turn any angle in x direction ( B axis ) and also any angle in y direction ( A axis ) . I understand g19, g17 etc but how do you set it to drill say 45 deg in the x direction ?
    I can rotate the B to 45 so drill is at 45 deg but Z is still up an down not at 45 deg
    Thanks
    Landyman

Have looked into this one for our 90deg head attachment, and although it seems I don't have the option, G68 can be used to tilt the working plane. It is defined as normal with an extra I, J and K to define which axis to rotate around. Tool offsets/cutter compensation commands must lie within G68 - G69

One G68 command can be put on top of another should you desire a compound angle. I haven't had the opportunity to use it as my control does not like it. In your case I would be surprised if this option was not available given the nature of the hardware. One parameter to make sure is set correctly is the nature of rapid movements...

DP

ps there may be parameters on the Fanuc that control how the jog modes/handwheel work at said angle ie they may produce movement at the current vector. We have an ancient Zayer with ancient Heidenhain that doesn't do anything like that clever...