586,103 active members*
3,799 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > CNC machine with manual control preserved

CNC machine with manual control preserved

I'd like to build a CNC machine for prototype work. However, I want to preserve the manual controls for basic operations. Also, I'd like to have a new machine, rather than find a used BP CNC or similar mill. And finally, I'd like to have a larger-size machine, rather than a pure bench top.

What are my options? I was originally considering a full size knee mill and added a CNC kit later. However, it seems a lot of folks don't like this approach. Probably because it doesn't make too much sense economically. Currently, I'm considering a RF45/SX4 size machine. Does anyone make a kit for these machines that preserve the manual controls? Any advice or thoughts?

Instead of running hand knobs dials on the back of the servo's to move the table/head, and having to run a separate DRO on the machine for manual use this way (read around $600 for a DRO and glass scales),

Run someone like Mach3 which has a built in DRO display screen for when the servo's are driven through the software/controllers, and control the servo's through mach3 manually with s selective axis dial pad for table/head movement for a couple of quick passes on your work piece.

marrt,

There is no "kit" for the RF45 machines. I also thought I would want manual control, but once you get the machine under CNC you can add an MPG and manually jog each axis as if it were under manual control. I used this to manually cut parts on mine.