586,633 active members*
3,229 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Joining Haas Family

This Friday we will be joining the Haas family. A TM1P will be fallowing me home this Friday. This will be our first CNC machine. It’s going to be a learn as we go machine. It is used looks to be in great shape low hours. The seller did find the spindle shipping bracket and installed it. Is there any thing else I need to do before we disconnect power? And how do you strap the machine down for shipping. We are going to move it on a flat bed truck.

TM-1P

Hi Jeremy,

I have a 2007 TM-1P actually delivered in January 2008. I really like my machine. I make some hobby related products. I am retired and have enjoyed learning CNC and CAD/CAM over the past several years. I am sure you will enjoy running your new TM-1P.

Other than one issue with a coolant pump motor it has been a maintenance free machine. Just make sure you grease the (4) grease fittings on the lower front of the table and the (2) grease fittings on the right side of the Z axis on a regular basis. I give each grease fitting about 5 pumps on the grease gun. I do this once a month and also put a little air tool oil in the line that works the air solenoid valves during the tool change. I disconnect the air to the machine and open the line at the back of the machine and put about 20 drops of air tool oil and then reconnect it quickly so it doesn't run out on the floor. Once that is done I reconnect the air supply line. If you can run an air dryer it will probably help with reducing maintenance calls.

In reference to shipping, I think there were a couple of red flat brackets that were across the top of the machine during shipping. I believe it was some support for the enclosure.

What year is your machine and what options do you have with it?

What CAD/CAM software are you going to use?

Have Fun!:cheers:
    2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://[email protected]

I think we might have sister machines. The sticker on the door said 8/2007. He clams he took ownership in January. Haven't decided on the CAD program. Still looking and trying the free trials. There is an air oilier mounted on the backside and a 4th axes mounted on the table. This is going to be a totally new experience for Keith and I. We have full time jobs and this will be a hobby machine for now. We have a 16X60 lathe and a bench top mill. The lathe we run on a static phase converter. But is over sized for the lathe. I have a 3ph 25HP motor that I was thinking of using for a rotary phase converter. What is the best power to use on the mill 220v or 3ph?

Supplied Mill Power Requirements

I machine a lot of small parts in Aluminum and Plastic. I have run my machine off of 220 single phase with no issues. I also have the Renishaw wireless probe system and it was well worth the money for me.
    2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://[email protected]

HI JOHN read many of your posts ,inovative ways u do things.I am also a backyard guy TM3 220v single phase,I am curious about your pic back of machine,is this a spindle oiler? as I do not have one.I know u have 6000 rpm spindle,is this why?I used info from this site to parameter mine to 6000 rpm also.thanx Gerald

Spindle Oiler?

Hi Gerald,

I do not have any type of spindle oiler. I am not sure which picture you are talking about as it pertains to my machine. If you could post the picture you are talking about and the topic maybe I could explain.

Thanks for your interest in my posts.

As someone who has prepped a LOT of machines for shipment, I can offer you a little info.

Grease or heavy oil all bare surfaces. I use the white lithium spray grease for short moves. No matter how nice the weather is today, the day the riggers show up it will rain. It's some kind of machine law I think.

Tape and strap anything that moves, doors, controls, whatever. Always some asian lady driving in front of the flatbed will cut them off, causing a panic stop.

Bracket from head to table is a must. Blocks work, just don't put the spindle nose on the block. Common sense right? Thats what I used to think to.

Every machine i prepped to ship, even a mile away, got plastic sheet over it. Along with the sheet, every machine got shrink wrapped, then packing tape around it to keep all the plastic on. Never failed, we'd get the oldest, leakiest line truck that blew black smoke like a locomotive. That S*it can be hard to get off. And it would help prevent tarp burns on the paint if they decided to tarp the cargo.

Try to be there when the riggers lift the machine. Seems they usually think the leveling pads are part of the floor. They show up about 50% of the time.

Seems like a lot I know, but repairs from transport are even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    As someone who has prepped a LOT of machines for shipment, I can offer you a little info.

Grease or heavy oil all bare surfaces. I use the white lithium spray grease for short moves. No matter how nice the weather is today, the day the riggers show up it will rain. It's some kind of machine law I think.

Tape and strap anything that moves, doors, controls, whatever. Always some asian lady driving in front of the flatbed will cut them off, causing a panic stop.

Bracket from head to table is a must. Blocks work, just don't put the spindle nose on the block. Common sense right? Thats what I used to think to.

Every machine i prepped to ship, even a mile away, got plastic sheet over it. Along with the sheet, every machine got shrink wrapped, then packing tape around it to keep all the plastic on. Never failed, we'd get the oldest, leakiest line truck that blew black smoke like a locomotive. That S*it can be hard to get off. And it would help prevent tarp burns on the paint if they decided to tarp the cargo.

Try to be there when the riggers lift the machine. Seems they usually think the leveling pads are part of the floor. They show up about 50% of the time.

Seems like a lot I know, but repairs from transport are even worse.
    :withstupi
    That's a goldmine of info. It will help avoid costly mistakes.
    Like when a machine gets moved about 500 yards to another building and is blocked down with a 4X4 right across the spindle so hard that the drive lugs are driven completely into the wood. Then a new spindle is purchased a few days later...
    Apparently I don't know anything, so please verify my suggestions with my wife.