586,655 active members*
4,275 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question "Cheap" CNC Mill that cuts steel?

:wave:

I've been lurking for a while reading build threads and tips and stuff in order to try and build my own CNC mill. I didn't see a section for DIY Milling Machines so I figured I'd post in the DIY Router section instead. I've seen that there are maybe only some minor differences in the terms since some routers cut like mills and vice-versa.

I have Solidworks and got a crash course in it from my previous school. I only have a little experience here though so to save time I'm humbly asking if you guys can share any build logs/plans for Mills that can cut less than 1/8" thick stainless steel. I want to build a working area of greater than 1' x 1' x 1' with less than a 29" square footprint so it'll fit in my apartment closet.

I think I may be able to use the school's machine shops. The drill press and band saw are what I've used already and they may also have a lathe and a CNC Mill, but I'm not sure if I'll have access to them since I went for Computer Engineering and not Mechanical, and since I graduated in May.(nuts)

Most of the builds I see are only shown cutting wood/aluminum which I also want my mill to cut. As I understand it, the only difference would be a change of RPMs on the spindle and the rigidity of the machine for metal cuts, correct me if I'm wrong. I've seen a Kress FME-1050 do the job with steel using a spindle speed controller. I'm hoping to get this all done for around $1000 but that machine cost almost double so I haven't bought their plans yet.

Any help would really be appreciated!

I've seen a Kress FME-1050 do the job with steel using a spindle speed controller
    Hmmm. I don't see where he actually cut any steel with that setup.

If you want to cut stainless steel, you definitely need to buy a mill. Especially with your budget.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

1'x1'x1' for $1,000? You could if you already owned a machine shop or had access to one. I couldn't do it for that with just hand tools.

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Hmmm. I don't see where he actually cut any steel with that setup.

If you want to cut stainless steel, you definitely need to buy a mill. Especially with your budget.
    He has a couple youtube videos on another section of the site: [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HxB3_yZigk"]YouTube- Milling STEEL! DIY homemade CNC machine in action.[/nomedia] and [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwN8qM2RKuc"]YouTube- 0.05" doc milling steel on aluminum homemade CNC machine.[/nomedia]

Would buying a mill be much different for cutting steel than this one?

If I could find a machine to be bought at ~$1000, which brands should I be on the lookout for? I've seen the popular brands are Sherline and Tormach so far.

Ebay searching wasn't very fruitful for me, except for this 4-axis Taig mill at $1700 + shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWild View Post
    1'x1'x1' for $1,000? You could if you already owned a machine shop or had access to one. I couldn't do it for that with just hand tools.
    I'll check to see if I have access to my school's machinery in the next couple of days and post what happens. Why do you say machine shop only? And is getting pieces cut that much more expensive? I figured a few hundred dollars for laser cut steel parts for the machine.

Okay so I went to my school and told them the story. They won't cut the parts unless it's for "research for the school." So since all they had in the shop were manual machines I asked the machinist there if he'd be interested in helping me convince the higher-ups to fund research to get metal-cutting CNC Mills in the shop for a low cost (around $2000 per machine).

He said he'd love if they had CNC Mills there, but didn't believe such machines could be built and for so cheap. I told him about this community and he still didn't believe it was possible! He said to come back Monday and talk to the head of the mac shop. So potentially I'll be able to cut my parts there if I can convince the boss to go for it on Monday. My budget has also increased to $2000.

If anyone can supply any plans, CAD drawings, and/or build logs so I can present my case there, please do! This may get my underfunded school some much-needed equipment!

He has a couple youtube videos on another section of the site: YouTube- Milling STEEL! DIY homemade CNC machine in action. and YouTube- 0.05" doc milling steel on aluminum homemade CNC machine.
    Cutting .05 sheet steel is a lot different than cutting 1/8" stainless steel. I don't think you can build a machine to do what youwant even for $2000.

Again, you're best bet is to buy a mill. BUy something like this and spend the other $1000 to convert it to CNC and buy tooling. Then you'll have a machine that can do what you want.
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/Dril...th-Stand/G0704
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

This thread will give you some idea of the 704's capabilities and the cost of converting to cnc
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98694

I don't recommend cutting wood with a mill, mill's aren't designed to deal with that type of dust. If you do cut wood be prepared to do extra maintenance.
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

DIY metal working machines are here:
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=221

Thanks a lot, you guys. With that start I was able to do intense research on Hoss's G0704 and decided that's what I'm gonna do. The head machinist at the school has agreed to cut my parts under the table (doesn't that sound wrong :stickpoke) so I'm pretty much good to go!

Quote Originally Posted by cyclestart View Post
    I don't recommend cutting wood with a mill, mill's aren't designed to deal with that type of dust. If you do cut wood be prepared to do extra maintenance.
    I'm glad you told me that. Maybe if I can figure a way to mount my house vacuum's tubing near the mill head with some kind of covering around the tooling to capture the dust it'll be all right.

Edit: Just read this article on wikipedia on swarf. Looks like vacuuming up metal is a no-no, but wood is a-okay.

Quote Originally Posted by parcheezy View Post
    Okay so I went to my school and told them the story. They won't cut the parts unless it's for "research for the school." So since all they had in the shop were manual machines I asked the machinist there if he'd be interested in helping me convince the higher-ups to fund research to get metal-cutting CNC Mills in the shop for a low cost (around $2000 per machine).

He said he'd love if they had CNC Mills there, but didn't believe such machines could be built and for so cheap. I told him about this community and he still didn't believe it was possible! He said to come back Monday and talk to the head of the mac shop. So potentially I'll be able to cut my parts there if I can convince the boss to go for it on Monday. My budget has also increased to $2000.

If anyone can supply any plans, CAD drawings, and/or build logs so I can present my case there, please do! This may get my underfunded school some much-needed equipment!
    This is such a bad idea I don't know where to start. A school has to have equipment that meets all OSHA, ANSI, and NFPA standards. New machine builds for schools or business must meet current safety standards, including enclosures with door locks on CNC machines (with ATC anyways) . If anyone got even the slightest injury on a home built machine, the school would be open to such huge lawsuits it would make your head spin. Approved motors, drives, breakers, and wiring would be more than 2K without even a machine base. Most schools have access to older equipment for free through the government or local business, I would start there first.

underthetire, thanks for that info. I was ignorant to all the standards that the school would have to adhere to so that really helped a lot.

I'll talk to the head machinist and see if he's interested to do it and do it right. Even though he agreed to cut my stuff I'd still like to help the school, workers, and students get better equipment that's safer than manual milling for the inexperienced.

Well, haha, it turns out the guys don't like the "cheap Chinese machine" I'm going to convert, so they don't want it for the school anyway.

Getting a quote from them for Hoss' phase 1 CNC conversion parts, they said it would run me $300-400 since they have to do it manually. I really can't pay it since I'm already getting a loan from my folks to buy all the other stuff I need.

Is there anybody out there who could machine my conversion parts for less (since some of you guys have CNC mills) or see another way I could get them made? I could buy the G0704 and machine them myself but I have zero experience and I'd really rather have them done professionally.