586,847 active members*
2,415 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Inside Square Corners

I need to machine a few parts that will basically fit over a square hex, so will need to machine a inside hex with sharp edges. Machining most surfaces are straight forward, but now sure the best tools to use. Material will be AL and the hex size is about 3/4" across flats.

you dont say how deep your going but you can try pre drilling the corners with an 093 dia. drill then use maybe a 1/4 endmill to rough the hex followed by a 1/8 endmill and finnally a 3/32. i would think there should be almost the same radious on a 3/4 hex

Quote Originally Posted by hitachibos View Post
    you dont say how deep your going but you can try pre drilling the corners with an 093 dia. drill then use maybe a 1/4 endmill to rough the hex followed by a 1/8 endmill and finnally a 3/32. i would think there should be almost the same radious on a 3/4 hex
    Whatever size you decide to drill the corners, drill them on the exact center of the corner.

This part is somewhat similar to a wrench. And a wrench does all of its work on the flats, and the corneers need not be a tight fit.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum164 View Post
    I need to machine a few parts that will basically fit over a square hex, so will need to machine a inside hex with sharp edges. Machining most surfaces are straight forward, but now sure the best tools to use. Material will be AL and the hex size is about 3/4" across flats.
    you will need to broach the corners

if it's a Through hole you can buy a hex broach , msc has them

you could also remove the corners in the hex pocket

Ive had to do a few 'square' holes on internal features before. I rough it to size best i can, then peck full depth with a drill stepping over a few though at a time and then finish with a hand file

Re: Inside Square Corners

If you want to run all the work on the mill and can't do the big hex broach, you could also get a small rotary hex broach and use it in the corners.

I'll try and answer all the questions. This is not a through cut it's about .5" deep or so. I will probably go the route of cutting a hole on the center of the corners.

never done any broaching, so not sure if you can do that on a Tormach or do you need a different machine. The idea is to do everything on the Tormach.

i found this video a while back and i have been wanting to try it with a tormach.

if you machined away the rough hex shape only leaving the radius in the corners, with a properly ground tool, i don't see why this method couldn't be done on a blind hole as long as there is room to move the tool away at the end of the cut.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gC4nbVB1-8"]YouTube- Rick CNC Cutting a Internal Spline[/nomedia]

Thanks sniper. Actually one of my next projects also has a spline but I have been holding off.. But it will be a very small spline so I am sure there would be no problem doing that on the Tormach with it.

Any idea where I can get a tool for that. I'll start looking/searching later tonight. Doing some masking for painting right now. Hate painting

Re: Inside Square Corners

The tormach can definitely handle a rotary broach. For a selection of rotary broaches appropriate to that machine, I have seen them at littlemachineshop.com. I would buy the smallest hex one, broach the corners, then do the rest with an endmill.

I've been using the 1/4" hex broach from littlemachineshop - it works great on my PCNC770 !