501,752 active members
5,762 visitors online
Register for free
Login
Page 54 of 74 444525354555664
    Registered

Reply to itod

While I have only recently finished my machine and do not have many hours of operation using my version of this type of controller, I can report that I have not suffered any of the trials that many of the other users here have detailed. Perhaps I have been extremely fortunate. I also found this thread after ordering my board and dreaded what I was getting into, however through reading the discussions here I do take some simple precautions during start up. I have set up a switching arrangement that isolates the 24volt supply to the controller, I have also placed a home made interface board between my parallel port and the controller which has enabled me to expand my 3 axis board include a 4 axis and use normally closed limits and e-stop circuits. I always make sure Mach3 is running on my Pc and has control of my parallel port and that the e-stop is engaged before I switch power through to the controller.
    Well that is my experience so far, I hope you have a similar experience.

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by H500 View Post
    If they claimed they fixed the problem, then I would tend to believe them.
    I'm glad you think so. Still don't know if I'll get the 3rd gen version or previous, but I would sure like to know how can one tell the difference. If somebody has an idea what and where to look for, I would be grateful to hear it.

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itod View Post
    I'm glad you think so. Still don't know if I'll get the 3rd gen version or previous, but I would sure like to know how can one tell the difference. If somebody has an idea what and where to look for, I would be grateful to hear it.
    Why not just order one that claims to have fixed the problems?

Vendors tend to be secretive in order to prevent others from copying their design. You won't know if a new design is any good until someone buy one and do a review.

If you don't mind buying a kit that needs to be soldered together, I know for sure this one is rock solid because I have one:
    http://users.skynet.be/ldt/CNC%20ele...THB6064AH.html

It can handle a higher voltage and current than even the best of the tb6560 designs because it uses a superior chip.

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by MalcolmF View Post
    I have a 3-axis version of this board and have noticed that it occasionally missed a few steps. I have read this thread start to finish and decided that the most likely changes to fix this would be to bypass the opto isolators, remove the 10k resistor for the power reduction circuitry, and replace the clock capacitor with a 100pF one. The first change (optos) made no noticable difference, at least on its own. The second did allow me to increase the speed by about 10% and subjectively everything seemed quieter and smoother. The final change, the clock capacitor, made a significant difference - it quietened everything down and allowed me to double the speed of everything. The issue is that after that last change when I push the jog buttons in LinuxCNC the machine continues to move for about 3 seconds after I release them.This is quite unacceptable and is potentially disastrous. I have tried all sorts of timings and within the range in which the machine functions it makes no difference. It happens on all axes.

Has anyone else had any similar issues?
    This is a bit late to response. I have this problem when the acceleration settings in EMC is slow. Increasing the acceleration settings in the configuration file so that it doesn't ramp up / ramp down the speed, and I don't see this problem any more.

-Thanh

Registered
    I got the 4 axis version of this board. The same one in the first photo. It seems working fine for me even without mods. I've tested it with a MaxNC machine and it gave me faster speed than I would ever need. I've hooked it to a NEMA17 stepper (400 step / rev) driving a belt and it could give me 1000ipm with 12v PC power supply after I by pass the opto that drives the step signal. Without by passing this opto it does loose step at some speed (which I don't remember what speed, but it was quite high). I have to try changing the osc capacitor to see how it behaves.

When I try this board on some motors I have, I could not increase speed no matter what I try. This motor is rated at 6v 1.2A. I guess it's not compatible with this board, because the other two motors are working fine? Anyone has any idea on this?

Thanks

ps. I would like to thank the original poster who started this thread (Lasik2025) and everyone who contributes to this thread. Your posts are very educational and informative.

Registered
    Controller has arrived, I don't see any way I can tell 3rd generation version from previous versions before it is used on the machine, which in my case is still far away. If anyone sees something interesting on the pictures feel free to ask to photograph some detail or to measure something. Sorry for the poor pic quality, taken with the mobile phone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0038.jpg   DSC_0039.jpg   DSC_0041.jpg   DSC_0042.jpg   DSC_0043.jpg  

Registered
    Hi itod ,

its interesting to see the new controllers
    on the top left of the second picture , your new board has a pic chip or a atmel controller the previous boards didn't have
    and one of the three terminal voltage regulators (mounted on heatsink top right ) has been replaced by a switch mode regulator IC

this should correct the over heating of the 12V regulator on previous boards
    but seeing a choke next to the IC instead of a ferrite cored transformer
    I suspect the connection between the printer port ground and the TB6560
    ground remains making the optoisolators less effective than they should be

John

Registered
    Don't like that there is no heat sink for the driver chips.

Thought 3rd gen was suppose to have 6064 chips.

Don't care for the surface mount components, makes for harder to repair if something burns out.

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Steve View Post
    Don't like that there is no heat sink for the driver chips.

Thought 3rd gen was suppose to have 6064 chips.

Don't care for the surface mount components, makes for harder to repair if something burns out.
    Looks to me like there is probably a heat sink on the back side of the board that you can't see. That style driver chip mounts in a hole cut in the board. It actually looks to me like the main part of the case is aluminum with plastic ends caps and a plastic cover.

Registered
    Regarding the heat sink and the housing: 109jb is right, there is something between the board and the aluminum housing just under the TB6565 chips, there is a pair of holes per chip on the housing and something is inserted there. I haven't yet removed the board from the housing to see it. Also, end caps are indeed plastic and the cover is plastic, only the housing is aluminum.

I also think that this may not be the final version of the 3rd gen boards, this wasn't marketed that way and I bought it just one week to early.

Registered
    !!! ATTENTION !!!

I reworked my 3-axis controller by adding 74hc14 after optocoupler and it work much better.

Do a test. I write a G code program that moves X-axis 30 mm and then back to position 0. This is repeated about 50 times. After 50 cycles I noticed that the position is not 30 mm. The real position is 35 mm. From somewhere adding steps! Chosen a lot of controller and Mach3 settings , but without result. Then I thought. When you add 7414 inverter we change phase of impulse , this is not right! I added other another 7414 (after 74hc14 official fix) for test so that the pulse phase to be like original . Tests showed that in this case, not add or lose any steps. X-axis stop exactly 30 mm after 50 cycles!

Registered
    Isn't the original modification that adds the 7414 intention intended to invert the logic level of the pulse that goes into the 6560? If you add 2 NOT gates then it's like not adding it.

Page 54 of 74 444525354555664