586,608 active members*
3,661 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Totally new at CNC

I want to start building a CNC router, but I need some help first.

I was planning to buy the machinetoolcamp plans, can someone tell me if it a good idea?, or is it better to start on the jgro plans?.

I'd like to build it for my R/C Airplane Hobby, i'm good fixing computers and using tools.

Can someone guide me before I start?.

Thanks

:wave:

What do you plan to cut with this router? Wood? Aluminum? Steel?

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

I think mostly wood, but if can use for things would be great!!.

Have you checked this place yet? He sells plans for all kind of CNC machines and they're great design
    http://www.crankorgan.com/

Marc..

Do yourself a favor - spend countless hours reading on this site! You came to the right place.

Dig around and after a while and the direction you will want to take will become clear, I think. There are so many ideas and options - it's a blast sorting through everything.

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

Mark, I already check that site but I think the cutting bed is too small, like mxstras said, I need to spend some hours reading this site.

Thanks Guys

I need to spend some hours reading this site
    Yes, that is in fact a very good idea, I have spent the past 6 months reading everything related to CNC, the mecanic part of my machine is done, next step is the electronic, more reading

Marc..

Mochi,

I bought a set of the plans from machinetoolcamp a couple of years ago, and although they provided a good basis, I decided to instead design and build my own router from ideas and concepts I collected from various places such as cnczone.com. By doing so, I soon realized that the possibilities are virtually endless in regard to materials, components, design and construction. The machinetoolcamp plans are very well written, but to build a machine such as theirs would be pretty costly. After thinking over ways I could substitute other materials for the parts called out in the plans, it eventually dawned on me that I could just as easily come up with my own design using materials that were more readily available such as MDF and typical steel and aluminum shapes such as angle, tubing, channel, etc. By no means am I an expert in designing and building one of these machines, but I have enough homemade mechanical "common sense" to know what might work and what might not. (I must confess however, that I have yet to get my router up & running. But that's because of other things on my 'To Do' list right now.) If I'd ever sit down and take the time, I'd post some pictures of my machine.....maybe this weekend. But browse the photo galleries, visit other websites from guys that have built their own, and take note of things you like. Before long, you'll start to envision the machine that's right for you.

Thanks a lot for your post HacknHew, I think all the newbies like me on CNC we are trying to build the cheapest machine around, I being taking a lot of time watching pictures, reading, searching, trying to understand JGRO plans, learning a little bit about electronis, step motors, servos, etc. Please post your pictures so I can learn more and start building my own CNC!!.

Thanks

The mechanical heart and soul of every machine is its linear guides. If your on a tight budget the first thing I suggest is scoping out ebay for at least a couple weeks to get an idea of what type of linear bearings you can afford. Theres no point in buying plans untill you are firmly decided on what type of linear guide system you can afford. Search for THK, IKO, INA, Linear, CNC, Slides and see whats out there and what you can afford. Of course if you want to make your own, or follow someone elses plans, this is unnecessary. But with the right strategy and some luck, you could snag three sets of THK or IKO linear rails and trucks for around 100 bucks an axis, and then build a real machine with specs as good as any six thousand dollar machine. Also snag a pair of ballscrews, but dont spend more than 75 bucks each (for 3 to 4 foot) or maybe a hundred with a double nut. For around 125.00 you can buy them new from a number of sources. If you want to build "the cheapest machine" you can, though, I would think the JGRO design available here for free is as good as anything youll find anywhere at any price. Its flexible and as low cost as it gets. Have you checked it out?
    Halfnutz

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks Halfnutz for your advice, i'm spending a lot of time reading, searching, i'm interested in building the JGRO Machine, looks non expensive and kind of easy to build. I got married 3 months a go and you can imagine my budget. Thanks I will keep reading and viewing more.