586,075 active members*
4,011 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Martial arts store owner looking for info

I run a martial arts store and sold custom weapons, but i was screwed over severely by my last metal worker. he lied and stated his equipment was down and didn't fulfill my orders, but in actuality he stole my designs and sold them himself on his own website. i was wondering what the price per piece would be on items like this. apparently they're mild steel, though my last supplier told me they're tool steel.
    this is my most popular item. 2 mm mild steel, about 2.75 in square

but i also sell a wide variety of other shapes. i was being charged 5 dollars per piece but i'm told the actual cost in the quantity i was buying was about 2 dollars per piece. thanks for you help

I am located in Wisconsin, I have a CNC Plasma Cutter that would be able to do these quickly. Do you have some type of drawing/sketch that I could use to provide you with a cost. Also, what quantities are you looking at purchasing. If you have any questions please let me know.

Thank you:

Pat Weier
    PDJ Cutting and Fabricating
    Manitowoc, WI 54220

Martial arts store owner -

Were you happy with the parts you received? It seems that the bevel that runs around the entire outside of the star would be hard to do with just a plasma. If you wanted to not have to hand work in the bevel send me a private message.

Thanks,

Were you able to get your parts?

I have a small CNC shop in Minnesota, and I'd love to get those parts done for you! I can definitely do a good job. Let me know if you are still looking!

Thanks
    Fletcher

Great River Machine Works

Just a quick note since no one has asked. You need to make sure these are items that are legal to manufacture in your locality as well as legal to ship to the receivers address.

The original poster even calls them weapons, which should raise a caution flag.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum164 View Post
    Just a quick note since no one has asked. You need to make sure these are items that are legal to manufacture in your locality as well as legal to ship to the receivers address.

The original poster even calls them weapons, which should raise a caution flag.
    In California possession of throwing stars is a felony, I don't know about other states.

Is in the privacey of your own home included? Is it a felony or crime to ship them to california?

Quote Originally Posted by universalfab View Post
    Is in the privacey of your own home included? Is it a felony or crime to ship them to california?

California Penal Code 12020 PC prohibits manufacturing, selling, and/or possessing certain firearms, explosives, or other weapons absent very specific circumstances. Nunchaku (commonly referred to as "nunchucks"), "brass knuckles", short-barreled shotguns, dirks, and daggers are just a few of the types of dangerous weapons that are included in this law.

It is the double sided blade that makes it illegal and a felony to possess here in California. I am sure that thing is illegal in a whole bunch of other states also.

yes and yes.

Also, don't try and carry them on your own personal jet either.

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/artic...japan_airport/

Ah but Grasshopper, is a knife a knife if it has no edge? Is a star a star if the point is rounded? Is it a sawed off shotgun if the barrel is filled with lead? What I see is just an industrial spacer or shim. If the new owner wants to change the shim into something else, I can not stop him.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWild View Post
    Ah but Grasshopper, is a knife a knife if it has no edge? Is a star a star if the point is rounded? Is it a sawed off shotgun if the barrel is filled with lead? What I see is just an industrial spacer or shim. If the new owner wants to change the shim into something else, I can not stop him.
    Tell that to the law enforcement officers knocking on your door. Which BTW, how do you know the OP is not actually law enforcement running a sting operation? Think about it, its been done before.

Agreed, not worth it. Even though in my book thats total entrappment, that doesn't matter to juanny law. I noticed on fleebay that there is only 1 listing for real steel throwing stars while the rest of the hundreds of listing are all rubber or plastic. I do know that a few companies do sell loads of throwing knives, stars, swords, knives, stun guns, and etc. etc., but the 2 sided blade I think is what's illegal and I think that is a law almost everywhere in the U.S.A. if not everywhere in the U.S.A.

Agreed, not worth it. Even though in my book thats total entrappment, that doesn't matter to juanny law. I noticed on fleebay that there is only 1 listing for real steel throwing stars while the rest of the hundreds of listing are all rubber or plastic. I do know that a few companies do sell loads of throwing knives, stars, swords, knives, stun guns, and etc. etc., but the 2 sided blade I think is what's illegal and I think that is a law almost everywhere in the U.S.A. if not everywhere in the U.S.A.
    Agreed. Except remember, it is legal for an officer to pose online as underage kids to catch sex offenders. Not much different to catch illegal weapons sales...But, generally they would have to have complaints against this site to get the court order...

A sting? Like the asshat that asked my buddy to introduce him so he could ask me to make a silencer? "Oh, just want to shoot squirrels in the city..." I laughed him out of my shop. I was merely being devils advocate. Playing with the ATF is foolishness. They don't mind killing families and kids to get the one they are after.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWild View Post
    A sting? Like the asshat that asked my buddy to introduce him so he could ask me to make a silencer? "Oh, just want to shoot squirrels in the city..." I laughed him out of my shop. I was merely being devils advocate. Playing with the ATF is foolishness. They don't mind killing families and kids to get the one they are after.

I believe you can make silencers with a proper license, but you can only sell them to law enforcement agencies and the federal government. That is what I got from a member of another forum who claims to make them. I think throwing stars are legal in some states, but reading up on the California penal code they aren't here and under the same codes it doesn't appear throwing knives are legal either. Oddly enough someone is selling throwing knives on e-bay from a California location, I don't think E-bay is policing that well. I can't believe some knucklehead is risking a felony to sell $5.95 knives. Ignorance of the law is not a defense in court. Warning to anyone if you think it is something you aren't supposed to be making ask the proper authorities, it isn't worth the risk. Telling the ATF that you thought it was ok to make something called "pipe bomb casings" isn't going to keep you out of the big house. Also you can't ship anything through a state where it is illegal to possess.

You can own a silencer. Just need lic from ATF which is not cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    In California possession of throwing stars is a felony, I don't know about other states.
    Its California enough said.

He should be fine shipping them via ups or fedex

Quote Originally Posted by m98custom1212 View Post
    Its California enough said.

He should be fine shipping them via ups or fedex

Are you suggesting someone knowing break the law? Depending on the state shipping items can also be considered illegal. Guess you haven't noticed the OP hasn't even bothered to clarify or post a second time. They probably know it's illegal as well. My guess is he is actually trying to copy someone else's design.