586,075 active members*
3,993 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Visual Basic > Need help___translate G-code using VB to motion control card

Need help___translate G-code using VB to motion control card

I am doing a project that builds a laser cutting machine system, the cutting movement is controlled by 3 servo motors (3 axis), and the 3 motors are paralleled with a motion control card, that card has its VB library. I need to read G-code into that card to make the motor rotate....Currently I don't have any clue on how to realize this...can anyone give me an example or any resources for me to read? Thx!

At one time I was trying to translate G-Code into Robot Code and I assume that is similar. I did not complete the project but had a workflow setup.

G-Code movement commands generally can be boiled down to a direction, and a speed. So what I wanted to do was setup a program to do this:

-Read the G-Code file
    -Identify each movement, ignoring tool changes and such
    -Drop each movement into a database file (MS Access or MYSQL)
    -Create a Post-Processor for whatever output you need.
    --Post Processor reads the Database
    --Transcribes the movements in the database to robot code, using proper syntax

As a bonus, if you do manage to set this up there is another possibility. You can build a secondary program interface to manually add movements to the database directly, and you are on your way to writing your own CAM program.

Hope this helps some.
    Stuff i can use: AutoCAD 2010, AutoCAD Inventor 2010, Solidworks 2009, MasterCAM X2/X4, CNC's FADAL, and Hurco 3-axis CNC Mill

it is that I need to write a VB/VC program, let's say we have an interface, there is a button "browse", then a gcode file (.txt or .nc i think) is loaded into the controller, then I click "run", the controller will read the g-code file and move the motor according to what the g-code said.
    eg. G00 G01 X0 Y0 Z10, my program should understand how to read G01 X0 Y0 Z10 and then to move the cutting plate (sorry it is a laser cutting system) from coordinate (0,0,0) to coordinate (0,0,10)
    currently i know that i don have to deal with post processor, all i have to do is to tranlate the g-code...that is your point one: Read the G-Code file, i'd really like to know how my controller can read the G-CODE...
    i am an absolute newbie in the mechanical world...THX!

Hi,
    basically i think that you have to create (in VB/VC) something that in literature is called: PARSER.

You must create your own G-code parser.

Try to have a look at www.codeproject.com, there is some general parsers source code.

Hope it helps.

Milena.

Sounds like you already have your motion card, but Galil Motion control (I don't work for them) has a software product, G-code to DMC. Not sure how it works. The other option is Mach 3 (arcsoft). Mach 3 has a galil plug-in or other controllers. Just a suggestion.

Otherwise, you'll have to write a 'driver' or translate from G-code to your control card's language.

Mark