586,077 active members*
3,926 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Heidenhain iTNC 530: Using Cycle 19 and Cycle 8

I'm setting up the post for my CAM software (WorkNC) to handle it's automatic drilling functionality. I've discovered along the way that for positional 5-axis (3+2) that you can't mirror (Cycle8) 3D toolpaths such as helical milling. Has anyone found a work-around for this? A huge percentage of our work involves symmetrically opposite details so the ability to mirror our drilling paths is quite important to us.

Thanks,

Dan
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Works on our machines.

What software version are you running?
    Also if you want to post or send a snippet I'll try it on ours.

That's interesting to hear. We have 3 different Hermles with 3 controllers (2004, 2006 and 2009) at different levels. I'll have to see for sure which versions we have.

I have a couple of questions. First, do you find that it makes a difference whether you place the Cycle 8 before of after the Cycle 19? I'm still trying to figure that out because I can't get the tool in position either way. I guess that makes hard to give you a chunk of usable code to try.

Could you give me a sample of a code that is proven that uses Cycle 19, Cycle 8 and a 3D cycle (like G208)? Our Hermle application engineer is telling me it can't be done. If you figured out a way I sure wouldn't mind if you shared that with me.

Thanks,

Dan
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I would have to think or try what would happen if you placed mirror before cycle19 and it would depend what you're trying to do but I place the mirror after the Cycle19 and I've not known it to not work.
    Hans

It can be done

At least on U Deckels that can be done...goes something like this:
    First normal part:
    cycle def 7.0 datum shift
    cycle 7.1 #1
    cycle def 19.0
    cycle def 19.1 c+180 A+45
    L B+Q121 C+Q122 FMAX
    ...cam generated prog here.
    Then the Mirrored part...assuming you are mirroring the X-axis...then you have to change the sign of C-axis from + to - (as a rule of thumb all other... except the rotational axis of the mirrored axis, in this case A, which keeps it's plus sign even after mirroring!) also it's good practice to have C-axis command first...then B-axis can do it's indexing move right every time.
    Mirrored part:
    cycle def 7.0 datum shift
    cycle 7.1 #1
    cycle def 8.0 mirror image
    cycle def 8.1 x
    cycle def 19.0
    cycle def 19.1 c-180 A+45
    L B+Q121 C+Q122 FMAX
    Actually it has been a while...so I'am not sure about the sequence...suggest you to try like this or put cycle 8.0 on different position....what I'am sure of, it will work...has been done hundreds of times...