586,103 active members*
3,718 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Uncategorised CAD Discussion > Looking to buy - questions first

Looking to buy - questions first

I am looking to buy a copy of Alibre Professional through this link:

http://www.journeyed.com/item/Alibre...sign/100900934

I do not need professional but for this price, I don't want to pass it up.

The price as you can see is 149.95 for students (I qualify) and I am wondering what the catch is (if any) I know that this is just a one year lisence and I am concerned how much this will cost annually to renew. Any thoughts?

Also, this link does not state what version this software is. I am concerned that it is old software. Can anyone verify what I will be getting.

Thanks

Dan
    Check out what I am working on at www.routerbitz.com!

if you are concerned contact alibre directly and ask about student pricing.

I would confirm the version number and license duration before buying.

Alibre is on version 12.1 now and the Alibre 10 was the last version that used the Repository (a feature that was claimed in the ad). Alibre is due to release version 2011 in the next few months (it's in open beta now).

Also, some educational software has a time limit, so I'd want to verify the license duration as well.

You should also check to see if the 1st year of maintenance is included in that price.

Mike

Dan:

The new Alibre version (Alibre 2011) should be released within or around the end of this month.

I looked at the link you provided.... They could well be selling an older Alibre version. The Repository, as well as VisualMill and PhotoRender, are the clues.

As the previous poster mentioned.... Verify with the seller exactly what version you will be receiving. Many educational software vendors will often sell software that isn't the current version.

Look at this dealer.... http://www.novedge.com/brands/35

Novedge is a reputable CAD/Graphics software dealer. They are not an educational software business, but they do sell, and have a better price on the student versions of Alibre than the company you were looking at. The Novedge price is $130 for current student version of Alibre Professional, $170 for the student version of Alibre Expert. (Since Alibre Expert is only 40 bucks more, I'd go ahead and pay the difference to get the Expert version. You'll get a couple of drawing functions in the Alibre core with Expert that are not included with Professional.... Plus, you'll also get Motion)

Info from the Novedge Alibre Professional (student version) page.... http://www.novedge.com/products/2677

"Educational users get upgrades for the year as part of their purchase. The license is perpetual but they can renew upgrades after the first year for the same cost as the original license purchase."

Since the list price of the student Alibre Pro is $150, that amount would seem to be the annual maintenance fee.

Alibre lowered the per year fees $100 on all retail Alibre maintenance when they dropped their software prices a few months back.

I was paying $399 last year for retail Expert version maintenance. Now back to paying the same $299/year I was a paying couple of years ago. As I recall, the Professional (retail) version maintenance is currently $199/year. It would seem, per Novedge, that the student Alibre maintenance is done differently.

Best to call Alibre's sales department to find out for sure.

Disclaimer: I am not connected in any way to Novedge

alg4884