586,036 active members*
3,628 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Do you think this will work to start?

Do you think this will work to start?

I'm building a small 12x12 MDF fixed gantry router just for PCB and lamicoid routing with the wolfgang spindle. At this point I have done the cad drawings and purchased a few THK rails from ebay.
    I have a few unknown square Nema23 bipolar motors or I could go with these Nema 23 unipolar motors and the linstepper2 driver.
    http://www.alltronics.com/mas_assets/acrobat/25M002.pdf (I have 4 of these) Can these be used bipolar? They are only rated at 60oz would running them bipolar reduce torque? What voltage should they be run at?
    Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for all the help!
    I'm just trying to keep the cost to a bare minimum.
    edit: James told me these motors are not well suited for the Linstepper. Maybe a different driver would work.

The Linistepper can be a good choice of driver for a small wooden machine, as it's smooth microstepping can benefit a machine that would vibrate with typical stepper drivers.

There are plenty of 1A or 1.2A unipolar motors around at surplus resellers, again with a small machine like that you shouldn't need to buy larger motors or expensive drivers.