586,277 active members*
3,437 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > Alternatives to the OEM Amber or Green Max II console CRT's ????

Question Alternatives to the OEM Amber or Green Max II console CRT's ????

As our machines age we become painfully aware that many parts are obsolete and out of production.

Every time I fire up my KM3p after its been sitting a week or few I have my fingers crossed and say a quick prayer. So far I have been fairly lucky.

Some of the known issues are fixable, such as how to update a memory board which used Dallas memory chips to battery backup and standard memory chips.

Now another common fault, which has no easy workaround has me worried. Those eye sore dual CRT's... As much as I hate staring at those screens I fear much worse, that someday one will stay dark.

What I am wondering is if anyone has found a workable replacement for the OEM CRT with PCB which costs about the same as a 50" 1080p Hi-Def TV.

For now mine appear to be in decent shape. My Uncles KM3 is dead with both CRT's out, and being a manual tool change machine it fell to the bottom of the maintenance list since even some of the VMC's were sitting empty for lack of work.

I'd like to collect what info I can to maybe work up a viable LCD conversion that would be adaptable to the existing Max II Dual screen chassis. I already have a few ideas, but the same problem exists - 5 years from now will the LCD conversion parts still be available

Another area I need info on is alternate keyboards. As is I need to overhaul my trackball.

Thanks all!

Skullworks the Elstom monitor circuit boards are quite easy to fix, if that's what the problem is. If you want me to fix them let me know.
    For an LCD conversion:
    The TEXT CRT is a CGA resolution monitor.
    The GRAPHICS CRT is an EGA resolution monitor.
    This company:
    MDA/CGA/EGA LCD Monitors sells an off the shelf compatible LCD.
    I did not buy from them. I checked the specs and the LCD looks like it will work.
    --
    Aaron

Question Color?

Just for giggles - did the Hurco machine software support 16 color mode like the DOS offline programming utility did?

Mine might be a semi unique case since my KM3p was upgraded to the Max32 system.

My Uncles KM3 was burning up the caps on the board that has the contrast, centering etc controls. Initially I replaced the caps and they lasted almost a year. but by the 3rd replacement they only survived a week. Someone mentioned it might be a leaky flyback diode.

At one point I think they swapped the graphic CRT over to the left side to get a job out, not sure if it was ever put back. For now both appear to be dead, and when combined with the dead memory board it looks the part of a ship anchor. As is, he uses it as a table to store extra vises on.

Arrow Let me expand on my idea.

Looking at the specs of some of these digital picture frames I found that many of them are not really high resolution. Also they tend to come in some smaller sizes so finding a good fit might be easier.

Getting the machine to display on the frame LCD might be done using a "Propeller chip" as a converting interface. I have over simplified the the process but I think it could be done.

I think going this route I might be able to have a replacement bezel with both screens installed ready to plug in for about $400, and for a bit more the graphic screen could be a touch screen so you would not need to fight the ball.

My post above is regarding the Ultimax and Ultimax 2, and limited to monochrome monitors. I don't know about the newer controls, and color monitors are much more difficult to fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by skullworks View Post
    Just for giggles - did the Hurco machine software support 16 color mode like the DOS offline programming utility did?
    The machine is monochrome, at least Ultimax 1 & 2.
    My Uncles KM3 was burning up the caps on the board that has the contrast, centering etc controls. Initially I replaced the caps and they lasted almost a year. but by the 3rd replacement they only survived a week. Someone mentioned it might be a leaky flyback diode.
    Yes the flyback transformer is dead. New ones are around $15 each. You'll need to replace the horizontal output transistor and the 1.1 ohm current limiting resistor, most likely. This is for the Elstom monochrome monitor.
    At one point I think they swapped the graphic CRT over to the left side to get a job out, not sure if it was ever put back. For now both appear to be dead, and when combined with the dead memory board it looks the part of a ship anchor. As is, he uses it as a table to store extra vises on.
    At least on Ultimax & Ultimax 2, the monitors aren't interchangeable. The scan rates are very different. Don't know about Max32, it might even be VGA. Never had one of those to work on.

The Max32 upgrade only swaps out cards in the Multi bus rack and adds a HDD and FDD along with 2x DB25 serial ports. All the display hardware from the Ultimax II is used as is. Nothing on the console changes.

Re: Alternatives to the OEM Amber or Green Max II console CRT's ????

Any luck with monitor replacement? I've got a max32 BMC30 that seems like it could use a new graphics monitor, as the existing one is very hard to read.

Well I finally talked my uncle into selling me the dead KM3. - In fact I'm at his shop now tearing it apart for moving. I will do some repairs then try a workaround I think may solve the old CRT issue. I have an idea for a machine simulator that may let me run the Ultimax II on the bench without servo amps or any actual movement. I will proceed as time and money permit... Oh yeah just bought a new lathe just before this mill... So more time than money for awhile....

BTW The end result I'm after is a cost effective LED/LCD retrofit that bolts into the existing dual screen console and can work with the MAX text and graphics outputs.

Seen someone offerring retro fit screens for like $1200 each - for that price it better play Youtube flawlessly in HD while I cut my parts... My target is sub $300 per screen or sub $500 for both. This isn't rocket science - after all the machines that built the rockets that took us to the moon ran on punched paper tapes...

( Had to add insult to injury.)

There is help available at a reasonable price
    I posted this last fall
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/hurco/...r-repairs.html

Chad is quite a wiz and without schematics analyzed my CRT and board .
    He no only repaired it , but found a Cap that was improperly sized for the circuit it operated in and changed the size.( He replaced all the caps)

One of the problems with using a LED display is the Video plug on a KM3 is not a standard 9 pin unit.
    And so, matching it to the LED and providing power is a big question mark ( for me)
    I found the Canadian Company ( $ 1,300) that would do it , but that was out of range for me.
    I found an old 12" Monochrome ( 680 x 400) Apple Computer CRT , but the driver and Flyback were so different, I dropped it.

Rich
    PS
    If you look at his website , go the the "Service Que"
    and see the variety he handles. He takes orders in que so you can track your lead time in the open

Seems like this should be easy. Your target price is about the same as my threshold of pain. I'm looking at the website that fasto pointed to: LCD monitors are a little over $400 there. Please keep me posted with your progress, and I'll let you know if I find something. Good luck with the KM3!

Quote Originally Posted by skullworks View Post
    Well I finally talked my uncle into selling me the dead KM3. - In fact I'm at his shop now tearing it apart for moving. I will do some repairs then try a workaround I think may solve the old CRT issue. I have an idea for a machine simulator that may let me run the Ultimax II on the bench without servo amps or any actual movement. I will proceed as time and money permit... Oh yeah just bought a new lathe just before this mill... So more time than money for awhile....

BTW The end result I'm after is a cost effective LED/LCD retrofit that bolts into the existing dual screen console and can work with the MAX text and graphics outputs.

Seen someone offerring retro fit screens for like $1200 each - for that price it better play Youtube flawlessly in HD while I cut my parts... My target is sub $300 per screen or sub $500 for both. This isn't rocket science - after all the machines that built the rockets that took us to the moon ran on punched paper tapes...

( Had to add insult to injury.)