586,036 active members*
3,809 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Is Haas the industry standard for CNC machines in America?
Page 1 of 2 12

Is Haas the industry standard for CNC machines in America?

I don't know if there is an industry standard for machines. It all depends on what you are looking to do with it and the price. Mechanically there are better and there are cheaper, but Haas is the best all around machine I have found. You get the best service I've ever seen and they are better machines than you could find for anywhere near their price. Their controllers are user friendly and their Quick Code is very useful, plus they have a lot of nice features that a lot of controllers don't have.
    Makino is a better machine, but costs 2-3X the cost or more. Fadal and Bridgeport make similar priced machines, but Haas is a way better built machine.
    Industry standard? Maybe not in all measures, but I'd say they were the industry standard in value for your dollar.
    Apparently I don't know anything, so please verify my suggestions with my wife.

We have found their service to be expensive. I could spend less traveling in a limo then it cost to have them drive down for service. I guess if you have local support that's great, but if we call it's $1000 just to show up!

Dan
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Industry standard? Do we guage the value/quality/acceptability of machinery in the "industry" to Haas? NO!

P.S. I love VF

Robert
    The beaten path, is exclusively for beaten men.

Depends if you're talking about the standard of quality, or the standard of sales!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan B View Post
    We have found their service to be expensive. I could spend less traveling in a limo then it cost to have them drive down for service. I guess if you have local support that's great, but if we call it's $1000 just to show up!

Dan
    1000$? that seems far fetched, you live in the arctic circle and they need a bush plan to reach you? Maybe you should talk to the factory about your HFO price gouging.

I was quoted $1000 to level my VF2, I guess I'm cheap because I thought that was too much...

It costs me a hair under $500 just to have them show up for service. Only half of your $1000 cost yeah, but still steep in my book. Their phone line help has been very good, and free. I find the equipment quality and price combination to be an excellent overall value. As we grow I'll be buying more equipment from Haas.
    Hercules
    2008 TM-1, 2008 TL-3, 2009 TL-1, 2010 VF-2YT

I am sure each region has their different pricing structures, but for the most part the rate for Haas service is very comparable to other brands. And to those who have $500 to $1000 to just show up, how far are you to the HFO? What is your time and money worth to drive 4-5 hours only to work on something for a couple of hours; time is money as all of you know.

There is no industry standard. As was said before Haas is a great value and overall packaged machine; there are better and there are worse.

Buy what you like, what you can afford, and what fits your work.

What I really meant to say was, Is Haas the most widely used CNC machine in U.S.A. as far as CNC lathes and mills go.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewJP View Post
    What I really meant to say was, Is Haas the most widely used CNC machine in U.S.A. as far as CNC lathes and mills go.
    For start up shops, probably. Once a shop gets to advanced machines like LPP systems or high function lathes, no. It also depends on part tolerance etc. Haas are everywhere, they are a good low end machine. They are reliable, and contrary to other opinions on here, parts are cheap to buy. They usually have good service, and yes, even when I was an independent, I charged a minimum. It wasn't 1K, but I had a business to run. My only complaint with Haas is they REALLY play the lost leader card. So I can buy a 20X40 machine for 60K, great!, Then by the time I add a reasonable warranty, side mount tool changer, 10K RPM, a chiller so my 10K rpm spindle will maybe last, a work light, etc...it was only 10K more to get a Mori with everything already on it..Just my .02.

Well if you can get a mori seiki for just 10k more after you add on all the extras then why not get the mori seiki.

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire

For start up shops, probably. Once a shop gets to advanced machines like LPP systems or high function lathes, no. It also depends on part tolerance etc. Haas are everywhere, they are a good low end machine. They are reliable, and contrary to other opinions on here, parts are cheap to buy. They usually have good service, and yes, even when I was an independent, I charged a minimum. It wasn't 1K, but I had a business to run. My only complaint with Haas is they REALLY play the lost leader card. So I can buy a 20X40 machine for 60K, great!, Then by the time I add a reasonable warranty, side mount tool changer, 10K RPM, a chiller so my 10K rpm spindle will maybe last, a work light, etc...it was only 10K more to get a Mori with everything already on it..Just my .02.
    That's what I just did. Bought a new Duravertical. Still don't know if I am happy about it. Had to wait two months for delivery. Then it was delayed two weeks. Then the dealer tool a week to come and start the install. Think I should have bought a s Haas to run while I was waiting. Remember a better machine doesn't mean any better service. Find a good dealer.

John

We have 4 new Dura's on the floor, 2 more comming in two weeks. Yes, a dealer can make a nice machine suck for sure. We just did some test cuts though, and the Dura really has a nice spindle in it. The shop floor profilometer showed a 4 finish. We din't believe it to be that good, so inspection has it. They came back with about a 6 or so. Still don't believe it, but I have no other sources to check it here. Our Dura's have been taking about 75 days to get here.

I couldn't get Mike at Haas in Dallas to return my calls.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewJP View Post
    What is the motivation behind the question? Are you just trying to decide on what machine purchase to make?

A

Quote Originally Posted by l u k e View Post
    What is the motivation behind the question? Are you just trying to decide on what machine purchase to make?
    My grandfather owns a machine shop and mentioned that he wanted to update his machinery (his cnc mills to be specific). He currently has 16 fadals. I personally want him to update his machinery with the most popular machine because there would be no shortage of operators, mechanics and customer service should be good. After doing some research I already know that Haas is the most widely used machine in America but when I originally posted this I did not know.

That may be a question you need to regionalize. They might use more HAAS in one part of the country but more Fadal in another. A lot of it has to do with teh quality of the regional distributor and the local support one brand might get over another. Also, the talent required to run the machines might run to one brand over another , making it easier to find operators for that brand in your area. Don't go nationwide!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed_R View Post
    I couldn't get Mike at Haas in Dallas to return my calls.
    Is Andy not there anymore, I bought my mini mill from him in 2004.

Page 1 of 2 12