Quote Originally Posted by hoss2006 View Post
Look forward to your results using EMC, I have been wanting to get into using it as well.
I'm getting tired of Windows these days.
Hoss
It's a little more PC picky than Mach. As I understand it Mach is pretty dependent on just the raw speed of the PC. EMC wants to load a real-time layer that sensitive to the hardware. This PC is going to be fairly marginal. After some reading it seems there is a lot going against it. Built in video only, shared RAM, newer Intel chipset. My jitter is pretty high and above 70IPM you can hear the inconsitancy in the motor. Does alright up to about 65IPM.

I really like the cleaner interface. Mach is a distracting mess to me. EMC seems very straight-forward viewing it.

I'll probably keep an eye out for a surplus system out there that is on the working hardware list in the wiki. You can run quite well on much older hardware with the realtime kernel as long as the motherboard and devices don't hose you up.

Typical Linux stuff though, scattered documentation, some GUI, some text files, some command line stuff and lots of outdated info floating around. I like it though.