586,111 active members*
3,584 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fanuc 21i / DNC / Memory Cards

Hi Folks

I'm trying to introduce myself to cadcam systems and the large G code programs that can be generated. So I presume I need to know more about DNC drip feeding and/or memory expansion via PCMCIA/Flash card for a Fanuc 21i-MA.

I think I have Program Memory B A02B-0247-H052 (SRAM B 512 kB) and I'm getting really confused with all these A and B suffixes!

Regarding DNC: the manual talks of a 'Remote' switch on the operator panel. Can't find it (Machine is Chiron FZ08W). Can a parameter be changed instead?

I'm also really confused with this M198 command: manual says "With a memory card RMT mode operation and the subprogram call function (based on the M198 command) cannot be used" I've also read somewhere of the programs from the card being loaded into cnc memory with M198P**** ..... so could anyone enlighten me here?

I don't know if/how any of this is possible for this controller (or for a 21-MB or 0MD) but if yourselves could give a bit of a primer on the above it would be much appreciated.

Regards
    Rob

I'm in the same boat with a 21MB. No card, so have to drip-feed from the RS232 port on the back of the machine. I ought to have something working by ... maybe the 20th, but I doubt it since everyone who can help me is at that trade show.
    I'm really familiar with async comm through serial ports on PC's, but the machine end is a total blank to me. Can we compare notes as we find solutions?

Some machines have a "TAPE" mode, which will usually show up as RMT on the display. If your I/O device is set to 4 you should be able to drip-feed from a Compact Flash Card w/ a PCMCIA adapter.

Using an older style SanDisk 256 or 512MB CF card is usually trouble free. You can get these from memorysuppliers.com for $19.95 or less. The newer high capacity cards may or may not work.

http://www.memorysuppliers.com/san51comflas.html

Does your 21iM have a card slot to the left of the display?

There's no card slot on my machine or controller, it dates from 1997. I have no idea how they loaded it before but as long as I can feed it infinite amounts of data through the RS-232 port I think I'll be ok. I realize that limits some of the features on the controller but I don't know how else to load a 3 meg file into 128k of RAM.

I still have not seen it demonstrated. Until I do, I'll be in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed_R View Post
    There's no card slot on my machine or controller, it dates from 1997. I have no idea how they loaded it before but as long as I can feed it infinite amounts of data through the RS-232 port I think I'll be ok. I realize that limits some of the features on the controller but I don't know how else to load a 3 meg file into 128k of RAM.

I still have not seen it demonstrated. Until I do, I'll be in the dark.

Are you able to send/receive through your RS232 port?

Does your control have a TAPE mode?

Won't know any of that until the machine gets here. end of week at best.