586,470 active members*
3,210 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Meanwhile.....back in Edmonton!

Just a quick "Hello" from Edmonton.

New to the website and very new to the world of CNC.

I have been watching any and all videos I can on the DIY systems that are out there and I am about 95% sure I wil be building Joe's 4X4 hybrid. Now I am just going to do alot more homework on the software/programming side as that looks like it can be very intimidating....especially as i don't know anything about it....

I look forward to being a sponge for any and all information on here and hopefully, in time, I can contribute some usefull information.

Cheers
    H1rg0n

I am about 2 hrs east of you on hwy 14.

I am on the joes forums and have a lot of the parts collected for a 4x4.

The vast majority of people are running mach3 for machine software, and I think that the vectric series of software is probably the most popular and user friendly for CNC routers.

A lot of people start out with vcarve pro then move up to aspire. Of course, it depends on what you want to make exactly.

There are alternatives though, if you need to do it on the cheap.

http://www.vectric.com/
    http://www.machsupport.com/
    JGRO Complete - G540, 380oz Nema23s, 1/2-10 ACME, 30"x14", Craftsman router
    Joes 4x4 R&P in progress

I am not too worried about doing it on the cheap. I am giving myself a budget of $3000.00. That should be plenty with room to spare.

Just doing homework like i said. I haven't heard of vcarve before, i will check it out. My plan is to start with simple flat cutouts and then move onto 3d mold creation for my vac-table.

If there is anything you need sourced out here in Edmonton shoot me a PM or Email and i will see what i can di up in my search for stuff.

Cool,

3k will get you a nice Joe's 4x4 with quite a few upgrades.

When building my JGRO I found out that fastenal in Edmonton carries all kinds of stuff like acme screws, 8020 extrusion etc. Also, if something isn't on their website, it doesnt necessarily mean that they don't have it, just give them a call. I haven't done my shopping for my joe's there yet, I am waiting for my gear rack and V-rails to show up form the USA.

Also, I did make a thread on here about it because it took me a long time to find HDPE sheet. Eventually I found that Johnston plastics in Edmonton has it, and it is very reasonable. Actually it's cheaper there than I could find it online once you pay the shipping. Again, it's not on their website, but give em a call when you need it.
    Joes 4x4 R&P in progress

Welcome

Welcome to the Zone. This is a fantastic site and the people here are just great when it comes to helping out. ( Personal experience) . I am also in Edmonton. Princess auto and home depot 2 stores can't live without.. If ya ever want to do coffee or such and talk cnc give a holler. I am in the process of finishing a complete diy hardware store 4x4 router. Hopefully accurate enough to do signs,and maybe a few cabinets. Again welcome..

Quote Originally Posted by Robert S View Post
    Welcome to the Zone. This is a fantastic site and the people here are just great when it comes to helping out. ( Personal experience) . I am also in Edmonton. Princess auto and home depot 2 stores can't live without.. If ya ever want to do coffee or such and talk cnc give a holler. I am in the process of finishing a complete diy hardware store 4x4 router. Hopefully accurate enough to do signs,and maybe a few cabinets. Again welcome..
    That would be cool to get together. Talk shop and bounce ideas off of each other. I'll pm you my contact details.

Software

H1rg0n the software can be one of the harder things to learn but only way to learn is to jump in feet first and play around with it. I suggest starting with some of the free stuff to get to know the functions and terms used in alot of them. As for the CnC software from what i've read so far Mach seems to be one of the best ones out there and you can download a trial version of it to familiarize yourself with the interface and do what i do just take it one day at a time and play with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Denteddagger View Post
    H1rg0n the software can be one of the harder things to learn but only way to learn is to jump in feet first and play around with it. I suggest starting with some of the free stuff to get to know the functions and terms used in alot of them. As for the CnC software from what i've read so far Mach seems to be one of the best ones out there and you can download a trial version of it to familiarize yourself with the interface and do what i do just take it one day at a time and play with it.
    That's exactly what I did. I am now playing around with Mach3 and with 3D Cut. Actually seems fairly simple.....LOL!!!!

The journey begins.

Bought Joe's 4X4 Hybrid plans and getting them blown up to full size (24X36).

Purchased full versions of Mach3 and Cut3D.

Picked up a refurbished computer (3Ghz, 2Gb RAM, 40Gb Hard Drive) with a 3 year warranty at a very cheap price.

Went out to Fastenal and picked up their 2 inch thick catalogue and will be using them as the main source for all parts.

Now just thinking about stepper motor packages.......

more to follow as i spend it....LOL

Picked up the blueprint size plans from Staples.....god they are huge....LOL

Ordered the Gecko G540 seen here

http://www.geckodrive.com/product.aspx?c=3&i=14469

Went out to BusyBee Tools and ordered 2 sets of table legs seen here

http://www.busybeetools.com/products...ONLY-SHOP.html

These are going to make up the base that the machine will sit on top of. For the table top i will be laminating 2 sheets of 3/4 inch MDF together. Over all the table will be 5X5.

More updates i go.

Ordered a whack load of stuff.

V-Groove bearings X16 from buildyourcnc.com
    Router mount for my porter cable 890 router from k2cnc.com
    concentric bushings x 4 from cadcamcadcam.com
    eccentric bushings x 4from cadcamcadcam.com
    anti backlash nuts X 4 from dumpstercnc.com
    1/2 bore, 4 bolt flange bearings X 7 from ebay

now i am just typing out the laundry list of parts to get from Fastenal.... If they can provide everything on my list all i will need is 4 motors and a power supply! and then it's assembly time!!!!

And the money keeps pouring out.....LOL

Ordered the following from CNCRouterParts.com

1 x 48V 7.3A Power Supply
    4 x 380 oz-in Nema 23 Stepper Motor
    4 x CNC Motor Cables (2@ 6ft, 1@ 12ft, 1@ 20ft)

The motors are already set up/optimized for the G540 board which is on it's way. The power supply is plenty for the setup i am going with.

Still waiting for the Fastenal quote to come in for all the metal stuff. Have a local CNC shop doing up a quote for all the MDF and HDPE parts required in joe's plans.

More to follow as i get it.

LoL. you're at the same stage as me as far as a joe's 4x4.

I have everything I need except the fastenal stuff. with no cncrouterparts pinions and 7 flanges I am assuming that you are going with the original leadscrew version?

Doing any of the upgrades? (stiffened x beam, V-rails, 8 bearing mod, etc)

What kind of table are you building, or where are you getting your unistrut? Unistrut prices out at about 200-250 depending which fastenal location you ask. I haven't been able to find it at any hardware stores...
    Joes 4x4 R&P in progress

Dustin

As for the table i have bought 2 of these

http://www.busybeetools.com/products...ONLY-SHOP.html

One of these tables makes a 3X5 shop table....so 2 of them will give me the 5X6 i will need for Joe's plans.

I am going with the leadscrew version but have not really looked at all the add-on's/mods that can be done except for the v-rail.....but i think that will be added later.....already pushing the limit on my budget...LOL....so there is no room for that right now. Once i get a couple of projects down range i will see what i can afford.

A for the Unistrut i am getting enough to do the bottom bed parts and thats it. I am still waiting for Fastenal to send me a quote but they are really slow as there is only 1 guy working at the store here.....brutal!!!!

I am considering cncrouterparts for my PSU, drive and motors. Interested in how things work out for you on shipping and any additional costs for duties, taxes, etc.

Thanks, Dave

Quote Originally Posted by kemper45 View Post
    I am considering cncrouterparts for my PSU, drive and motors. Interested in how things work out for you on shipping and any additional costs for duties, taxes, etc.

Thanks, Dave
    Shipping only cost $37.00 for a 17 lb box and it is being done through USPS so i shouldn't get slammed at the border like you do with UPS or FedEx....i'll let you know once it gets here.

Yup, USPS is the way to go to avoid those brokerage fees by the couriers. Glad to hear the seller is willing to use their services. Will wait to hear back from you when you receive the goods.

Cheers, Dave

I have made two orders from cncrouterparts and didn't have to pay duty either time.

Also, The power supply in the kit arrived dead, so Ahren (the site owner) sent me a new one free of charge, no questions asked. He didn't even need me to send the broken one back as proof or anything.

A+ service from them.
    Joes 4x4 R&P in progress

Just got the quote back from Fastenal.....HOLY CRAP!!!! $640.00 for 3 pieces of the 8020.....thats insane!!!! Got to look at other options because that is a ridiculous price.

The motors, power supply, and cables arrived from CNCRouterParts....going to start wiring them up later tonight.

The local CNC shop quoted over $1000.00 for the MDF and HDPE parts....so ordered them right from Joe's site.

Bearing, router mount, 1/2 inch flange bearings have all arrived. Table is all together too....here some pics.

For the top i plan on making a 5foot X 6foot table made from two 1 inch thick pieces of MDF laminated together...that will make it 2 inches thick. Will be plenty strong enough and add alot of wieght to limit table shake....like there will be any with these legs.....LOL

H1rg0n, they're not in Canada, but I always order 80/20 from Reid Supply.

A local option would be FrameWorld, sold at Skean's Engineering. Be warned, that while the profiles are similar, FrameWorld is not identical to 80/20's offering and might not work for you.

Chris Kirchen

Page 1 of 2 12