586,119 active members*
3,676 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Power drawbar riser for my sqr col. mill

Power drawbar riser for my sqr col. mill

I scored a Kurt Bridgeport automatic power drawbar at an auction for $135 . It's made to bolt directly onto the top of the BP head. The problem is on the SQ col mills, the spindle sticks out over 2" from the top of the head, while on the BP, it is inside the head. The drawbar that came with it was also several inches too long, so I had to cut the bar on the unthreaded end, trim down the drawbar head, and press/pin the two back together again.

The only way to make it work is to build a riser for it. I'm evaluating a fantastic solid modeling program called SpaceClaim and thought this would be a good project to try the software out on. I took careful measurements and draw up this assembly in a few hours.
    Here is a picture of the whole assembly. So far, I've cut out the sides of the riser, the top, and milled the slits in the sides of the top that the sides will fit in. I'll post pictures of them as well if there is any interest.
    Eric

Air Gunner,

Looks good so far .. I've never heard of SpaceClaim .. is it priced in the home users range?
    Also, is the BP unit an air cylinder type that requires Belleville washers or the spin-on type that actually tightens & loosens the drawbar nut?

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by gd.marsh View Post
    Air Gunner,

Looks good so far .. I've never heard of SpaceClaim .. is it priced in the home users range?
    Also, is the BP unit an air cylinder type that requires Belleville washers or the spin-on type that actually tightens & loosens the drawbar nut?

Gary
    I ran across SpaceClaim last month. It really is an amazing piece of software, (I'm a Windows developer by profession). I don't have any personal interest in the company, so don't think I'm only advertising, but you wouldn't believe how easy it is to put together an assembly. It was a little frustrating at first, but they have movie downloads on their website that show how things are done. I think its around $2000, but I also think that they have an educational discount. I'm evaluating it for work, so I have a version that will last until Sept. 11.

The one I have is the spin-on type. It has a small impact wrench mounted on top of a cylinder. There is also an electrically actuated pneumatic valve on it so that the unit won't operate if the mill is powered on.

I'll get some pictures up soon. I worked on it a bit today and have the sides bolted to the top plate. I had to make a 82degree countersink that would leave a straight sided recess as well so that I could get the bolts down deep enough. I machined the head diameter down from .480 down to .460 so I wouldn't break out the edge of the top place where the four bolts per side fasten it to the side plates.
    Here's a screen shot of the riser alone.

Here are a couple of pictures of the base with the Kurt unit on it. I still need to machine and bolt on the feet. I plan on pulling the four head bolts nearest the front and use a longer set to pass through the feet.

I had to spin the motor around 180 degrees because the two starter caps were in the way. They now face the back of the machine. (Notice the oil slick on the top of the mill. I have a problem with the oil foaming, even though I put non detergent oil in it...ho hum..)

http://www.compufoil.com/images/assm2.jpg

http://www.compufoil.com/images/assm3.jpg

that looks really good. so this just attaches to the drawbar (R8?)?
    FS: Complete Z-Axis Assembly with THK RSR15WM slide, leadscrew, stepper mount. PM for more info.

It sits on top of the head. The existing drawbar is replaced with one provided by Kurt. It's basically the same, except it has a longer head with something similar to a torx screw instead of a hex on the top of the drawbar. The power unit is basically a small impact wrench with a splined socket that sits on top of a piston. When you press the button, the piston moves down, along with the impact wrench. When it reaches the bottom of its stroke, the wrench gets air. When it loosens, the oversized shoulder of the bolt bottoms out on the bottom of the unit, where it meets with a hardened washer. This forces the tool holder down out of the collet.
    I finished the four mounting feet today. I just need to drill and tap the eight holes on the bottom of the riser side plates. More pictures tomorrow.
    Eric

a socket

I mounted the unit yesterday and gave it a test drive. I worked great four or five times, then wouldn't tighten up any longer. (insert slap to forehead here..). I forgot that I had not pinned the drawbar to the head. The drawbar is a light press fit, so it simply pulled itself out of the head a half inch.
    I'm getting ready to drill and ream a 3/16 hole for the pin. I need to look through my box of reams that I got at an auction to see if a 3/16 is laying on the bottom...
    More pictures to come..

Working great!

Well, she's mounted and running well! I still need to mount the control to the side of the mill. Here is a picture of the completed unit, as well as one mounted.