586,645 active members*
2,266 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: FANUC 21i-mb

FANUC 21i-mb

Does anyone use the mirror switch in the parameters page?

I tried to use it to mirror a hole pattern for a base and it seems that it was mirroring the machine coordinate postion, so the machine tried to take off the wrong direction and hit the x-axis limit...the axis I was trying to mirror.

I was instructed to edit my toolpaths with M95 FOR X-AXIS MIRROR, or M96 FOR Y-AXIS MIRROR directly after a move to the position about which I would like the mirror to take place. Then, at the end of the toolpath, add a move to the same mirroring postion, followed by a M94 to cancel the mirror.

The switch would be quicker.......if it worked only on the absolute coordinates.
    "'Tis a poor workman who blames his tools."

Keep in mind, when you toggle that mirror image setting in the settings screen, you are mirroring the entire coordinate system. In general, it is not a good feature to use. It is also a VERY bad thing to use mirror image when milling and using tool radius compensation.

Editing in those few M-Codes should only take you about 1 minute if you are a slow typer, so have at it.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by krustykrab
    Does anyone use the mirror switch in the parameters page?

I tried to use it to mirror a hole pattern for a base and it seems that it was mirroring the machine coordinate postion, so the machine tried to take off the wrong direction and hit the x-axis limit...the axis I was trying to mirror.

I was instructed to edit my toolpaths with M95 FOR X-AXIS MIRROR, or M96 FOR Y-AXIS MIRROR directly after a move to the position about which I would like the mirror to take place. Then, at the end of the toolpath, add a move to the same mirroring postion, followed by a M94 to cancel the mirror.

The switch would be quicker.......if it worked only on the absolute coordinates.

True Chris, I don't mind typing in the M-codes if it will save me from screwing things up. I can't imagine why anyone would require the entire coordinate system mirrored.

Off topic, this is my first time using a Fanuc controller.....with little training of course. Pretty sad, buy a brand new machine and the training I get is 2 hours with a local cnc machinist who doesn't even know how to use the drilling cycles.

I found that it was quite close to the Fadal except instead of a P value on the drill line, you have to enter a parameter in the parameters page.

Perhaps you wouldn't mind answering one more question...(probably 100 more in the future). When entering data in the parameters page, does the controller move the decimal places? For instance if I want a d-value of .5mm in my G73, would I enter the value in Parameter-5114 as 5000, 500?

Thanks for your help.....it is...priceless.(not cheap)

Perhaps you wouldn't mind answering one more question...(probably 100 more in the future). When entering data in the parameters page, does the controller move the decimal places? For instance if I want a d-value of .5mm in my G73, would I enter the value in Parameter-5114 as 5000, 500?

Yes,

I believe you have it right. Even within the CNC program, there are some addresses that don't allow decimal points. So be sure to look the the programming manual that came with the machine (as well as the parameter listings). As you suspected, assuming inch mode, the least input increment is .0001" so....

10000 = 1.0
    01000 = .1
    00100 = .01
    00010 = .001
    00001 = .0001

Leading zeros shown only for clarity in the above example.

Chris

thanks, your a great help :cheers:

Does the 21i mb have the prgrammable mirror image G50.1 G51.1 like the 15MA ?
    I have not used it yet but it looks like it would be useful, you can specify the mirror line across the axis you wish to mirror.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Here is a sample of a drilling cycle with the mirror.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FANUC MIRROR_intruction.jpg