586,042 active members*
3,611 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Seeking advice on Bosch Rotocut as spindle

Seeking advice on Bosch Rotocut as spindle

Anyone has any experience with the them?
    I'm building a small machine to mill aluminum.
    Will the Bosch Rotocut do the job?

Extracts "Bosch's Rotocut has cutting bits which rotate at 30 000 rpm per minute ... Rotocut uses special cutting bits similar to drill bits with a reverse twist (can normal endmill be used?). Bosch supplies three different types of bits for cutting in plaster or tiles and sawing in wood, Plexiglas or wood composites. The bits are clamped with a collet like in a router."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ROTOCUT.jpg  
    Stupid questions make me smarter...
    See how smart I've become at www.9w2bsr.com ;-P

If it's like the spiral cut devices then "reverse twist" refers to the bits which cut downward instead of upward ... but rotate in the same direction as all other power tools. This is most helpful for materials like drywall where the cuttings will be pushed through the material away from the user rather than towards the user.

CP

For My Rotozip, which is made by bosch now, it has a new design of a chuck key type holder which makes it much easier to change bits and it also holds 1/4" and 1/8" wide bits, this is another thing you want to look for to be able to hold 1/4" also. and you will want an upcut bits. to bring the material out of the cut. I use 2 flute 1/4" and 1/8" cutting width, and available just about everywhere, the only thing to look for in the 1/8" cutting bit is the cutting depth.

Joe

So can I assume it will do the job?
    I'll be using it mainly with 1/4" & 1/8" endmill.

Another question, is there anyway to control the speed with external module? Any recommendation?

If you'll just be cutting aluminum, the rpm's are too high, and it may be underpowered. I'd also be concerned with runout, but I've never used one so don't know for sure. You can use a router speed control to slow it down, but you'll lose some power at lower rpm's.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

If your speed is too high, your bits won't last long unless their carbide.

I use a Sears Craftsman version of this tool in my Mini Mill. It has two speeds 15K and 25K RPM. I have used it in aluminum with mixed results, light cuts are OK and heavy cuts are usually too much for this type of spindle. 1/4" 2 flute carbide endmill can take a .010 cut fine if your machine is rigid enough. You can also use a router variable speed control to reduce speed. I have tried it with mixed results as well. At best this is a compromise (too fast). I use two spindles, the rotary tool for wood & plastic work and a 0-6000 RPM DC Servo for aluminum work. I plan to add a belt drive spindle(R8) in the future to increase the torque available for additional cut capacity. Additional details and pics are in my photo gallery.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Craftsman rotary tool spindle_1_4_1.JPG   DC Servo Spindle2.JPG  

Thanks to all for your advice.
    Looks like I have to do more walking before buying the spindle .
    Probably have to go with 2 spindles as well.