586,103 active members*
3,703 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Difference between Fanuc 0i-MC and Fanuc 0i-MD

Difference between Fanuc 0i-MC and Fanuc 0i-MD

We are planning to buy a new machining center from Korea. Initially the supplier offered Fanuc 0i-MC control with the machine but now he has offered Fanuc 0i-MD control with the machine at an extra cost of US $ 5000. What is the difference between the two models. Is it worth to pay this amount for new model.
    humak16

The 0 series is a fairly old control, but still popular, I though the 0i was a later version.
    I have integrated a few 0's, but not the i series since switching to Mits.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

The 0iMD is Fanucs Lastest addition to it's Lowcost control product line.
    It is enhanced with new features over the previous 0iMC product.

http://www.fanucamerica.com/portal/p...R_06222010.pdf

http://www.fanucamerica.com/portal/p..._Photo_4x4.jpg

The newly enhanced features to the 0i-D include:
     Max total controlled axis increased to 8 axes milling model
     Al Contour Control II (milling model) uses a state-of-the-art ultra high-speed
    processor allowing high-speed machining of complex free form parts which are
    programmed in continuous small block segments
     Nano Smoothing (milling model) smooths surfaces by converting small block
    segment programs into smooth NURB surfaces in real time
     Jerk Control (milling model) for smooth acceleration with less machine jerking
     Enhanced Tool Management (milling & turning models)
     Retraction for Rigid Tapping (turning model) for cycle time reduction

Our new Mori Dura verticals all came with the Oi-D. From what I can tell, it just allows more options down the road. We originally ordered them, was supposed to be the C control, and D's showed up. Was also supposed to be Mori Mapps III panels, and MAPS IV showed up. No price increase. There was in the last few months a price increase due to the weak dollar. Someone is playing bait and switch I think.

One wll handle a 4th axis and the other won't
    Tim

gibbs post

Any chance of anyone having a gibbs post processor for this control?? Fanuc Oi-MD on a new Bridgeport/Hardinge VMC

any Fanuc mill post would do. there is surely something compatible supplied with the program.
    anyway if you still need help you probably should ask this question in the Gibbs Forum
    GibbsCAM - CNCzone.com-The Largest Machinist Community on the net!

The 0i-MD is the latest generation of the FANUC Series 0 control. Since the FANUC part program format is very consistent over the years, any FANUC post should work.

The 0i-MD includes many standard features, similar to the 0i-MC, but there are some new features including:

- Ethernet port as standard
    - nano-interpolation for smoother surface finish

There are some new advanced options on the 0i-MD that were not available on the 0i-MC including

- nano smoothing
    - AICC II
    Attached Files Attached Files

The Series 0i-A/B/C were derived from the Series 16 based family of CNC controls while the 0i-D was derived from the Series 30i based family of CNC controls. There are enough gotchas when going to a 0i-D that I highly recommend you consult the 0i-MD Machining Center User's Manual, B-64304EN-2, Appendix B "Differences from Series 0i-C" to see if any apply to you.

There are differences in some programming features (e.g. Programmable Parameter Input is G10 L50 in 0i-C while it is G10 L52 in 0i-D). They divide up the differences in 38 subsections so have a look for yourself to make the transition easier.

CNC2149 is correct about the 0i-D being closer to the Series 30i. Attached is the appendix he referred to if it helps.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks for the link.
    Big differences. Totally different control by the looks of it.

Yes! There is a perception that a FANUC 0i is an old control. But the 0i-D controls is a very new control using the very latest technology for performance, precision and reliability. The features nanometer resolution for precision and surface finish quality and 28-years mean-time-between-failures. There are over 200 premium features standard in the control which makes it very competitive in the commodity machine market.

Ok, so what are the 0i Model A and B controls like?