586,061 active members*
4,414 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Aluminum sheet cutting on router

Aluminum sheet cutting on router

Newbie here,
    I am gonna cut some .08 aluminum sheet with a 3/16 O flute. My max speed of my machine is 25 ips.

Question:
    What should my feed rate and depth per pass and rpm be?

Will screwing it down work ok? I have read about people using double sided tape but that didn't sound like fun.

Double-sided tape will work awesome, if you have a properly prepared surface: flat, non-porous, and thoroughly degreased (brake cleaner, alcohol, etc) surface.

Set your router to the slowest rpm's possible. If you can spare about $10, buy an 1/8", solid carbide spiral flute end-mill (2 flutes is better than 4 for this). Check MSC direct, or McMaster-carr for this item.

Occasionally spray the cutting tool with wd-40 or kerosene to prohibit the aluminum from becoming welded to the tip of the cutter. The WD-40 will try to dissolve the sticky off of the tape, so maybe a few screws would not hurt, just in case.

Perhaps you could try 0.040" per pass. That has worked for me in the past, with my porter-cable router.

I am sure that you will receive many more opinions on this process, so stay tuned.

Cheers!

Rob

This is double sided foam tape yea? I can't imagine regular old double sided tape would work.

For aluminium profiling I like a 1/4" 3 flute cutter, it cuts smoother with at least one flute always engaged in the material and should leave a nicer surface finish than the single flute. Nevertheless, the O flute tools are a good choice and should work fine. I'd suggest 24,000 rpm and 80-100 ipm (assuming it's single flute, never seen a multi flute O cutter so I'm guessing it is).

More RPM would be better if you have it, and if you do, try and keep the chip load between 0.003" and 0.005". Multiple passes would help with chip clearance, and as spoiledbrat said, WD40 is helpful to reduce the chip welding effect, especially with cutters under 1/4". Be wary of the lift if it's an upcut type bit and you do use double sided tape (carpet tape is good).

Here's a clip of the three flute cutter I mentioned, 160 ipm and 20,000 rpm (turn volume down, noise is a bit piercing!):

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVMKoLaR2gg"]YouTube - DeskMC-2.5D.m4v[/nomedia]

Best regards,

Jason