586,403 active members*
2,533 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Weird shuddering noise from X2 mill table

Weird shuddering noise from X2 mill table

I am trying to find the cause of a loud vibration affecting my x axis. It started soon after I stripped and lubricated the table recently, and I can hear it when the table moves one direction, but not the other way. The leadscrews are all original and I have done a split nut backlash mod and CNC conversion based on Chukkie's thread.

AFAIK there are no missed steps or stalling of the steppers and I'm still using the mill, but the vibration loosens the gibs quite often. Thanks for any ideas, not sure if this is a common problem?

I think I had the same issue but not sure without more input. Check to see if you can move the table by hand just a bit. If you can then the gibs are to loose and they need adjusted. If this is not the case then you have the same problem I did.

As the table is moving in the direction that it starts to shudder, place you hand under the table and feel the end of the leadscrew that is not supported. In my case the leadscrew started to vibrate as it moved. you can fix it by adjusting the nut or by placing a support bracket to hold the end of the leadscrew that is vibrating.

I have had a similar issue, it was due to the fact that i neglected to lube the leadscrew at all...:withstupi

it would only happen when i tried to crank the handles too fast(feed too fast)
    http://www.g0704.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by eartaker View Post
    you can fix it by adjusting the nut or by placing a support bracket to hold the end of the leadscrew that is vibrating.
    Thanks, seems you solved it! Could kick myself for not thinking of that. I guess the nuts had worn somewhat and after adjusting and re-tightening the machine has stopped shuddering, and so can I. (nuts)

Still have other kinks to work out if anyone can help. The Y axis can't move too near towards the handle without the motor stalling (loses me a half inch of travel), probably due to uneven wear. I am also wiping down and re-lubing the ways every day because there is black residue that builds up constantly (from the ways wearing down I assume).

I don't see the point of getting ballscrews when the ways wear out so much quicker

I assume you cleaned all the red shipping grease off right?
    http://www.g0704.blogspot.com/

It might be a good idea to lap the ways and the gibs as well. This will flatten everything and make the ware even. make sure you use a proper lubricating oil. I never converted my X2 to ballscrews and it works great for me. It is all what you want out of the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by mwood3 View Post
    I assume you cleaned all the red shipping grease off right?
    Dismantled and scrubbed it all down with soap and water when I got the mill (drying after, obviously!). Still when I wipe a tissue or my finger over the ways after brief usage it gets coated with black soot. I'll try to switch my lube and see if that helps, using cheap generic 'bike oil' at the moment.

Don't know if my CAM method is causing early wear because I cut fast and shallow, eg. 0.02" depth in alu with a 3/8 endmill, rather than deep and slow.

Thanks for all the suggestions, now gotta read up what lapping entails...