586,096 active members*
3,732 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Smile Auckland.....Anyone???

Hi anyone, I’m new to CNC routering and keen to learn more, I have a small machine of which has been a huge learning curve. I bought this machine as my passion is making Stuff mainly speakers but ill give most things a go and it seemed like a good challenge of a lot of skill sets. What I’d like to achieve by this post is to see if there is any local backyard/pro community of likeminded people happy to share some information and help each other out. (Does this sound like a singles column?) Anyway Im using Mach3 , Autocad and Alphacam and I’m keen for any tips and tricks.....

Cheers

Darian

:rainfro:

Dargaville CNCer

Hi there Darion,
    I am in Dargaville (2.5 hours North of you)
    I am a CNC operator at a factory here and have a 1200 by 1200 machine at home. I am using Vectric Aspire which is a great design program and save straight to G-code. I am operating my machine with NC studio.

Nice to meet you
    Regards Paul Oliver

Hey hows things?

strangely enough i was in Dagavile last week visiting family and a funeral.

I will look into the software your using, at this stage im trying to learn more about making 3d Parts using Solid works.

\Will touch base soon thanks very much for the reply first and only !

D

Hi, I am in Hamilton and am about to assemble a modified Monmus design with a bed around 600x 400. Am a total newbie so will be interested in what anyone is doing over here. I have autocad and have the freebie "cadcam" which I am looking at.
    caio
    Raynor J

Hi there,
    I am in Dargaville. What is a Monmus???

Momus CNC

Take a look at, Forum site cnczone.com/forums/momus/plans.
    ciao
    Raynor J

(wedge) hi again.
    I have a question for you "locals".
    I have been preparing in AutoCad 2.0 d drawings for 2.5 milling and have downloaded CamBam the free version which I am not sure at this point can Import DXF files but the blurb seems to say yes.
    However what i have at this point is a number of A4 drawings that are half the full size I eventually need and each page has multiple parts.
    I need some tuition or where to get tuition to set up these in CamBam to start cutting but I am totally unsure how to handle the multiple part set up.
    If one has to do every one as a one off thats going to be a pain.
    If I learn the G code I guess thats an option but I am at home with Autocad so that makes no sense.
    Any ideas where I can locate the info in detail.
    Raynor Johnston

Hi where abouts in auckland are you (work from factory/home?) I am on the North Shore and have a couple of CNCs if you wanted to have a chat sometime feel free to email me [email protected] could be a good idea to startup a small community of like minded people

I'm not in Auckland, I'm in Dargaville but I will be moving into Warkworth in the next few months. I have a 1200 by 1200 machine and mostly work with MDF.
    Do you have any projects posted on the net? Mine are on touchwoodcrafts.com.

I'm in Waitakere and currently part way through building my first machine, a 1200x1500 table (out of steel).
    Have a Gecko G540 controller and will be running EMC2 and currently fiddling around with HeeksCAD/CNC but think I would like to try some flavour of Vectric as well.

Hi Kiwibrick,
    How long before you are up and running?

Hopefully by the end of this month if all goes well.

Thats great.
    I am using vectric software. I swear by it.
    Are you using your cnc for just home stuff or business?

Quite a bit of stuff for home/myself then I will see where it leads me.
    I have to cut out and rebate the rest of the cabinet doors for my kitchen as one of the first jobs.

To the original poster, I got my electronics from Keling and my ballscrews on ebay from linearmotionbearings2008.
    Now I just need to get the Bosch router that I want, unfortunately doesn't look like we get the model (1617) I want here in NZ.

Once you get used to the Vectric products you wont be going back to any of the Linux / FOSS offerings in the CAM area.

I'm happy to be proven wrong but unless you're more into using the PC than making stuff I can't see why you'd stick with weird interfaces that some of the Linux developers have come up with for generating G-code...

(just my 2c worth. :-) )

I like to fiddle with computers too unfortunately
    I've had a play with too many free CAM programs to count and found Heeks to be OK, but I will almost certainly go to Vectric software once funds allow me.

Hi sorry late reply I haven't got anything on the Web to view but have done got a Thermwood C53 Router 3mtr x 1.5Mtr and a SCM Record 1 Router 2.8mtr x 800mm we use Alphacam also and mainly machine Woods / Plastics.

Auckland .... Anyone

Hi Darian,
    I am also new to the CNC world and currently getting ready to put together a router table around 1200 X 900mm. Still in it's infancy at the moment, but plan to make further headway pretty soon.

I also would like to know if there are any like minded interest groups locally. Let me know if you get any positive feedback.

Stuart H