586,275 active members*
3,233 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Servo options?

Currently trying to track down sources for the CNC that I WILL (regardless of what my co-workers think) be building this winter and spring. My machine will be rather large (4'x4') All linear shafting, machined aluminum, yadda yadda yadda.

I want to go with servos. I want the feedback, I want the lower noise output, I want the speed.

So far, I have found Keling to have a nice selection of servos and related parts. The guys over at DMM Technology also have a sweet looking package at a decent price (the 1000oz. kit). The downside here is that I was (believe it or not) looking foward to wiring everything up and getting it all tuned myself.

So, anyone care to point me at other REPUTABLE vendors/suppliers that would cary most of what I need for my motion control requirements? Don't know if it matters, but I was intending on going with Mach3 for my CNC software

Quote Originally Posted by gearsoup View Post
    So, anyone care to point me at other REPUTABLE vendors/suppliers that would cary most of what I need for my motion control requirements? Don't know if it matters, but I was intending on going with Mach3 for my CNC software
    if you're the kind of DIY type who wants do do everything themselves, why not go with EMC2 so you can see the results of tuning on the PC in real-time and monitor the following-error etc etc.

with hal-scope the tuning can look something like this:

lol, I'm not that much of a do it your-self-er... lol

I am going with Mach 3 because A: I've used Mach 1 on my previous build and it is a wonderful product, and B: It has everything that I want, for a very decent price

Hi there.

I bought my servos from http://www.anaheimautomation.com and use servo drives from http://granitedevices.fi . The drives is really nice and they have great support on that too.

gearsoup

The Dmm is your best way to go, there is very little to do in the way of tunning, the drives come pre tunned, you just have do your settings in Mach, which also is just a XML file from Dmm

Take a look at Rod Videos this is a simular size to what you want to build & has Dmm 400Watt Ac servo motors on

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZb7nJMx_68"]YouTube - cncvids 028.AVI[/nomedia]
    Mactec54

mactec,

Nice machine you have there. Are the motors you are using the 1000 ounce peak motors, or is it the other kit? How fast have you been able to go, what sort of screws are you using, what is the reduction on your pullies, etc. etc.

gearsoup

The machine is not mine it is Rods, I just helped him with some of the set up, His ballscrews are 20mm pitch the motors are the 400watt not the 900watt you are looking at, The pulleys are 3-1, the speed is more than the machine can handle, most of the cutting in the videos is 100 IPM, the machine can run at over 600IPM

Here is his build Posts http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102439
    Mactec54