586,032 active members*
2,922 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Want To Buy...Need help! > What type of do I need for head porting?

What type of do I need for head porting?

I dont have any cnc experience and I was wondering what is the cheapest way to do cnc porting on V8 cylinder heads? I've seen bench top mills at harbor freight and a used Tree 2UVR mill on craigslist that might be converted to CNC.

Thanks.

5 axis

You need a five axis machine. Much more serious than anything you can buy at harbor freight.
    Search youtube you will see what I speak of.

Ya, 5 axis, and one big enough to get a cylinder head on, 125k on up to 1m.

The cheapest way is to get someone else to do it.

I think Fadal used to offer a turn key mill set up for cylinder head porting. As I recall, the machine was something like $125K. Of course, then you still need 5 axis CAM to program plus tool holders. This assumes you already have a 3D CAD file of the port.

Centroid offers a turn key machine.
    Rottler offers something also.

Can it be done for less? Probably but precisely positioning an 80 lb chunk of metal in 5 axes takes decent sized servos and a fairly robust machine. Figure the head mounted to the tilt/rotor table probably weighs over 300 lbs. That's a lot of mass swinging around. In this economy, you might score a deal on a used machine at an auction for a lot less.

don't forget the RMC V40
    RMC's V40 Series Engine Machining Center Information

about $180G to port heads.

the RMC rep recommended the centroid over the rottler...called it a tin can. centroid is around $125G

are there any real 5 axis machines used to port heads??

I think the "real" 5 axis machines put the hourly rate too high. In other words, a head ported on a ~$125K machine will make the same power as a head ported on a $250K machine so there is no advantage to the more expensive machine.

is that after hours of hand polishing? the LS7's CNC ports flow 360 cfm +/- 10 cfm (GMPP guys couldn't tell me which model/make of CNC is used). 0.002" can in critical areas will affect flow. i've heard of shops getting 0.020" on heads. which machines do the big boys use?

even various cmm are +/- 0.006" at best. a local consultant laughed when i told him centroid claims tenths accuracy with their touch probe.

it seems to me that true 5 axis are much quicker, and give a better surface finish than the current 3++ axis mills. i love the idea of RMC's block blueprinting capability - and it's a more solid machine than centroid or rottler. i'm still researching cnc's, and michael andretti uses a mori seiki (DMC 835V).

DMC 835 V | Vertical Milling Machine | DMG Mori Seiki

hotturbine

It does not have to be expensive as everyone is saying, you can set up a Bridgeport type mill & do a great job as many have, Directmotion were one of first in 5 axes head porting

Your software you get will decide how good the ports will end up, this is the most important part to start with, software is the only thing that will make this happen, what machine & it's control you do it on is second

Almost all machine manufactures make a 5 axes machine of some kind, all are not suited to head porting, But you can build one yourself that will work just as well, there are some 5 axes builds on the Zone

The best for head porting is to have the head of the machine doing 3 axes of movement
    then your head you are porting is just mounted on a fixture & only moves with the X & Y of the machine, The fixture that the head is mounted on can be tilted at any angle, but is locked in place when being cut

Direct Motion - 5 Axis CNC Machine Tool Control Technology
    Mactec54

your answer is DIY?! lmao The most important part is a GREAT port! Then accurate digitizing, then accurate equipment. Software is the least important imo.

You gotta pay to play. Cheap = low quality. CNC doesn't automatically guarantee quality. There's a lot of CNC junk out there! If quality is important to you, you'd be better off paying someone else with the right equipment and experience. Or even just good hand porting. jmo

Quote Originally Posted by hotturbine View Post
    I dont have any cnc experience and I was wondering what is the cheapest way to do cnc porting on V8 cylinder heads? I've seen bench top mills at harbor freight and a used Tree 2UVR mill on craigslist that might be converted to CNC.

Thanks.
    Just wondering, are you doing a whole bunch of heads (like a real production run) or just once and awhile for your own motor?

I'm far from knowledgeable when it comes to cnc, but I know a bit about cars. Unless your looking to get into the aftermarket head business, I would find a local engine builder with a good reputation, a die grinder, and a flow bench.

We do it on a Fadal with a Tri-Tech 5 axis head. The software alone will set you back $20K. We have an extra tritech 5 axis head for sale if you find a Fadal (must be at least 4020 with extended Z axis)
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

Homemade 5 axis cnc head porting

Hello,
    Check the following link it may help
    Homemade 5 axis CNC porting machine - YouTube

Cheers