586,094 active members*
3,893 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Super-PID new low-cost router speed controller
Page 99 of 121 4989979899100101109
Results 1,961 to 1,980 of 2415
    Quote Originally Posted by kinghong1970 View Post
    it'll be great if someone with more knowledge on this can chime in and give us the specs on the pins so we can find them on newark or the similar internet vendors...

i did find a makeshift solution from radioshack... but not 100% happy as the fitting is a bit loose...
    Yes, even better if the cable was an option from the vendor...hint, hint.

Quote Originally Posted by kinghong1970 View Post
    it'll be great if someone with more knowledge on this can chime in and give us the specs on the pins so we can find them on newark or the similar internet vendors...

i did find a makeshift solution from radioshack... but not 100% happy as the fitting is a bit loose...
    The info should be in this thread somewhere. If I recall, the cable length might be an issue. I though Roman said to keep it less than 3 ft? But I could be wrong on that.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

thanks gerry, i do recall reading that... but more specifically, i was looking for details and specs on the pins to make the connectors.

i was looking over at newark and mouser.... and dammit, there's a ton of info and have no clue what pitch or size crimping connectors or the pins to buy... lol
    i kinda guessed and guessed ok from the radio shack kit... but as stated, not the best connections... kinda loose.
    my first..."Big Ape" CNCRP 2448 Build Log

Seems to me it's a 0.1" header that you are looking for
    Colten Edwards http://www.cncsigns.ca

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

yep, thanks both... Al answered the questions on the other thread he linked.

Super Awesome Nubness Alert...

sorry about that sad attempt at humor... but have a question for the pro's.

in my build log, i intend to mount the SPID inside my enclosure for the PSU and G540's and whatnot... but i noticed, the POT will be in contact with the aluminum case which in turn, comes in contact with all the power supply cases and hence is grounded...

is this going to cause problems for me? do i need to isolate the SPID mount onto a non-conductive surface?

thanks in advance,

Al

The POT case or pot terminals?
    If you were to feed the 5v from the PC the 5v common would be at ground reference anyway.
    But in any case, the pot terminals do not normally come in contact with the case?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Al, sorry, i meant the pot case, not the terminals.
    and as for 5V, i have a separate tiny pc psu that i placed in my box and drawing the 5v from...

Sorry for being absent for so long people, I have been busy with some end of year workload.

Re the LCD extension cable, it needs to be a 0.1" pitch 16 pin header/ribbon cable, with a male header at one end and a female header at the other end. Sometimes long cables can cause issues but I built in a fair safety margin in the LCD comms the SuperPID uses and a cable of 12" to 18" has seemed to work fine for some people so far. It would be good practice to keep the cable well away from the high voltage parts on the Super-PID and away from power and motor wires.

Thanks to Al_the_man and others for posting info on a commercially available cable. I'll talk to Val about stocking some, can't say if he will be interested as it seems to be a rare request.

Just for reference here, I connected a S-PID sensor to my DeWalt 1-1/4HP router, which was very straightforward. This involved removing all the guts on top of the router, which disabled the LEDs, but probably made airflow a lot better which may be important at lower speeds.

I also used a 1/2" 90 degree copper elbow to turn the strain relief up as well...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0261.jpg   IMAG0263.jpg  

Hi Louie, thanks for posting the photos showing how to add the sensor to the top of the DeWalt router.

If you don't mind could you please also say the model number of the DeWalt router? It helps people that might be searching this long thread for info about their router model.

Quote Originally Posted by RomanLini View Post
    Hi Louie, thanks for posting the photos showing how to add the sensor to the top of the DeWalt router.

If you don't mind could you please also say the model number of the DeWalt router? It helps people that might be searching this long thread for info about their router model.
    Welcome, I believe it's DWP611....

PID G540 and ESS

Hi All,

I own one of the older versions of PID 1.5v and must say it's a must have for all routers. If this one ever dies it certainly will be replaced with new one.

Now, I got a dilemma hopefully somebody here be able to help me.

In the shop my dedicated PC died and was forced to replace it with new one that does not have a parallel port which forced me to purchase the ESS (Ethernet Smooth Stepper). So far I'm pleased with it all functions work fine except I cannot use it in "auto" mode or at very least override the speed. While back connected do a PP I was able completely control it thru Mach3, now I can only turn it ON/OFF. Now I have additional parel ports on the ESS so I connected and configured Mach3 and the ESS for TACH feature. The wire is connected to the PID Tach port and directly to ESS parallel port 2 pin 2. It does nothing. My set up consist of Mach3, ESS, G-540, running WinXP.
    :drowning::drowning::drowning:
    Does any one here been able to successfully configure all in similar setup?

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Forget about global warming...Visualize using your turn signal!

Hi Lancut, sorry I don't know the "Ethernet Smooth Stepper" product.

Re controlling the SuperPID speed from Mach3, how were you doing it before? Did you have a breakout board that turned the Mach3 PWM signal into a speed control voltage 0-5v? You SuperPID is a v1 hardware so it needs a 0-5v speed control voltage.

Re connecting the SuperPID "TACH" output back to Mach3 the TACH output connects to a logic level input on the ESS, then that mimics a parallel port pin, which is a signal back to Mach3. The main issue is assigning the wrong input in the Mach3 setup.

Thank you for the reply. I got it working. Just a straight connection from the second pararel port to PID tach control, and Configured Mach3 pin. The speed was working fine connected to G540 and controlledd by Mach3.
    Forget about global warming...Visualize using your turn signal!

Good to hear!

Hello everyone. I finished my first CNC machine build (a 2'x4' machine kit from CNC Router Parts) and have installed and wired a v2 SuperPID with a Geckodrive G540. I am running the latest version of Mach3.

I can start and stop my Hitachi router via the Mach3 "Spindle CW F5" button. I also get an accurate RPM DRO in Mach3 that matches what the SuperPID display says. However, my Mach3 "Spindle Speed" values stop matching the RPMs past about 15000 RPMs. If I type a "Spindle Speed" of 10,000, the RPM goes to 10,000. If I type in a "Spindle Speed" of 20,000, the RPM only goes to an actual value of about 17,500. Any increase in Spindle Speed past that point only marginally increases the actual RPM.

My Mach3 "Spindle Pully" config values are: Pully 4, min of 300, and max of 30100 and a ratio of 1.

Any ideas of which Mach3 setting might need to get tweaked? Thanks for your help!

maybe that's the fastest it will go?

Quote Originally Posted by mmcp42 View Post
    maybe that's the fastest it will go?
    The Hitachi M12VC goes to around 24K. I had it going that fast when using the Pot configuration on the SuperPID. Some Mach3 setting must be wrong, I am thinking...

Page 99 of 121 4989979899100101109