586,106 active members*
2,968 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Super-PID new low-cost router speed controller
Page 104 of 121 45494102103104105106114
Results 2,061 to 2,080 of 2415
    Thanks everyone for helping with tech support here.

I'm still having a lot of problems with the new forum engine, it's crashing my browsers and even when I can turn enough Java things off to get things more or less working, it still takes 4-5 minutes for any page to load after clicking. I have to click on something, then go and watch TV for 5 minutes and come pack and see if the page loaded. It took me 35 minutes so far to get to the point when I can type a reply in. And I've tried 3 diferent browsers. Anyway that's my problem, so i will stop whining now.

To Garciasa and your problem with the RPM sensor, I have emailed you re setting up the sensor which is the cause of your issues there. A sensor that is not getting good white and black readings will show the symptom of speed instability (or shutdown) at higher RPMs as high RPMs are more critical for the sensor adjustment.

The sensor needs to be pointed at reasonably large flat surfaces, painted white and black. By "large" it means about 3/8" square for each colour, or 1/2" is better.

Your black surface was too shiny and not registering as black according to your SpindleView bargraph test. Also your surface was not flat. The SuperPID instruction PDF shows pictures of what the SpindleView bargraphs look like when correctly set up.

Thanks Devastator, Ger21 and others for helping diagnose this, and you guys were right it was definitely a sensor issue.

Thanks Al_The_Man for helping with the Proxxon router, you are right the Proxxon does just use a normal TRIAC internal speed controller like most routers. Val has discussed Garciasa's problem with me and we are sure the router is fine, the problem is entirely the RPM sensor setup.

Since I may not be here for a while until I get a new computer or better browser setup, you can always get me for SuperPID tech support at my email;
    roman AT RomanBlack.com
    (change the AT to @ of course) and please put SuperPID and your NAME in the subject line.

Val is always available at the main www.SuperPID.com - Super-PID Closed-loop Router Speed Controller email for general installation tech support and router modifications etc. He's been doing it for 2.5 years now and is pretty good.

Ok, Roman you told me is a RPM sensor, but i got the bars that is indicated in the documentation....
    i'll try to repaint again the black surface , but i understood that if you get the 4 bars in the black surface and full or almost full bars in the manual testing, the router should work...

Anybody with the proxxon and superpid, could show me the sensor installation??

new attempt, same result...
    now i painted again, with this paint (black mate an white mate)
    https://docs.google.com/a/cittec.es/...hid0ZacG8/edit

The manual calibration, i think is quite good, two bars in the
    minimum, almost full bar in white, in the video you can see it...
    the shaft has been repainted again and looks like this:
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4gS...it?usp=sharing

and this is the video:

i put the sensor a little bit up to avoid the angled surface but nothing...
    i don't know where put the sensor, in the up side the shaft is quite
    small, and here it doesn't work neither...

It sounds like the router has a critical speed where it starts vibrating vigorously. It's a point of resonance of the rotating shaft.

After i disassembled the router again, i think this router is not the best choice to install the superpid,

So the only two parts are, the up side of the shaft, first i tried there but it's too small,
    the other part is where i installed at the bottom part, but here i has got the same problem...

Roman suggested me try to glue a small part on the top of the shaft, to make a surface a little bit flat, so i'm gonna try to do that, but i say again, this router it's not the best choice to install the superpid..

i'm gonna try to do that, but i say again, this router it's not the best choice to install the superpid..

Am I seeing things right in your last pics? You have the sensor marks on a part of the gear-reduced output? That ain't good. You need to have the sensor reading rotations of the electric motor shaft itself. If this is the way it is, it would explain a lot.
    airnocker
    Everything depends on everything else

Hello again gentlemen,
    I have hooked-up a Super PID to my DMB4250-8B brakeout board. I can get it to run manually. With the MDI using Mach3 I only can get 5000 rpms no matter what spindle speed I put in. It will respond to M5 command, and turn off when E-STOP is pressed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nytwin1

Quote Originally Posted by airnocker View Post
    Am I seeing things right in your last pics? You have the sensor marks on a part of the gear-reduced output? That ain't good. You need to have the sensor reading rotations of the electric motor shaft itself. If this is the way it is, it would explain a lot.
    Hi airnocker, it's not a gear-reduced, it is a gear that connects to other with the same size and teethes, so the rpm are the same in up part of the size and in the bottom part...

Val suggested me check the superpid in "open loop", in this mode, the RPM signal is ignored and the router speed is then set by the speed Knob position only.
    This is the video of the result, and i think that's the problem... so probably the sensor, the paint and so on is correct....

Thanks garciasa,

Another thought, most small routers like the Dremel models have a high end speed of about 26-28,000 rpm, my Model 395 goes close to 30,000 rpm. I notice the specs on yours mention 20,000 as the top speed. Could it be that the noise and vibration you get at the higher rpms running SuperPID open loop is because you are exceeding the Proxxon top design speed? Proxxon's speed controller may limit the applied voltage to their universal motor to limit the speed to 20K, while SuperPID will supply the full 120VAC wide open.
    airnocker
    Everything depends on everything else

Hi guys!!!!
    Now it's working, finally Val&Roman solved the problem!!! it was a capacitor in the electronics which was making noise and the router wasn't working good, we discovered it when i was testing in "open loop" mode...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALJd9Vpebp4

But it just goes up until 20.000rpm, so i'm not sure if it's a proxxon limitation for any electronic component which is limiting it , but i mean after 3 weeks of testing, it's not very important for me!!! now i'll be able to cut something

So thanks for everyone who tried to help me!!! you're a great community

Quote Originally Posted by garciasa View Post
    Hi guys!!!!
    Now it's working, finally Val&Roman solved the problem!!! it was a capacitor in the electronics which was making noise and the router wasn't working good, we discovered it when i was testing in "open loop" mode...
    Congrats for sticking with it to figure it out. Most of us would have given up. I knew that once you got Val and Roman involved you'd get some good advice. So what did you do to correct the noise? After all of this, I'm dying to know........

So thanks for everyone who tried to help me!!! you're a great community

Quote Originally Posted by Devastator View Post
    Congrats for sticking with it to figure it out. Most of us would have given up. I knew that once you got Val and Roman involved you'd get some good advice. So what did you do to correct the noise? After all of this, I'm dying to know........
    We had to remove the big yellow capacitor..
    proxxon ib/e electronics

Surprised why you did not remove the whole board??
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Surprised why you did not remove the whole board??
    Al.
    Because this router is DC (Direct Current) not AC (Alternating Current), so you need at least the diodes and something else to convert it..

According to the schematic it is a Universal (series) motor (AC or DC)?
    Al.

Albert E.

the motor is DC... i checked in AC, and it didn't work....

It is very unusual for a series wound DC motor not to operate on AC?
    Al.

Albert E.

Page 104 of 121 45494102103104105106114