586,077 active members*
3,648 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Super-PID new low-cost router speed controller
Page 118 of 121 1868108116117118119120
Results 2,341 to 2,360 of 2415

Re: Super-PID new low-cost router speed controller

I ran a SPID with a Makita router with no problems. I upgraded to a Porter Cable 7518 and am still trying to get it to work. Are there any special things that need attention. The SPID screen just cycles through the menus. The router runs and stops. I have adjusted the optical sensor. Do I leave the TRIAC in and jump it or should it be removed. I have a CNCROUTERPARTS NEMA 34 electronics cabinet with PMDX 126 board. I initially wanted to run the router with the software but just basic running would b a good start.. Any help appreciated.

should be removed.

Hi guys, i have the Super-Pid, Ethernet Smoothstepper and C10 breakout board, i have 4 wires from S-Pid to BoB, i can turn on/of and fully control the speed, but i can't get the RPM display to work, been messing around with the index input but no luck. Can someone please help me how tn configure mach3. Thanks...

Are you using the default screens?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

yes, default screen...

Do you have it wired like the manual shows? How do you have it configured in Mach3?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

like i said, 4 wires (gnd, tach, run, 5v) from s-pid to bob (gnd, 8 to run, 9 to pwm, tach to input 10), i can turn on/off and fully control the speed of the router. In mach3, enable index and assign port and pin, try to stick and unstick active low also. In spindle setup tab, stick use spindle feedback in sync mode. Also tried to put some number in index debounce box. Im not sure if i have to do anything with ess plugin or what.

What router is considered to be the easiest to install the RPM sensor?

Quote Originally Posted by Spotswood View Post
    Well I'm sure everyone has an opinion.

I found the Porter Cable 690 a good choice for my needs. There was adequate room on the top part of the router. I have a small lathe, so I was able to machine the needed hardware which holds the speed sensor. I silver soldered the two pieces I fabricated together and then drilled and tapped a whole on the router to mount the assembly.

Also Precise Bits makes collets that fit this router.

Quote Originally Posted by Spotswood View Post
    I found the Porter Cable 8902 was fairly easy to modify. I may have also posted the mod process on this forum but I also posted it here: Build Your Tools ? View topic - Super PID
    airnocker
    Everything depends on everything else

I bought it last year to upgrade my Bosch 1617evs and it works quite well. I took photos of my conversion process if you would like to see it. I haven't had a chance to add any commentary yet, but the photos are there.

John Whitten

Mod Bosch 1617evs Router for Super-Pid Controller

Nice pics - anything interesting during the conversion?
    If it weren't for the last minute nothing would ever get done.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jim_r53 View Post
    Nice pics - anything interesting during the conversion?

Minor stuff I guess. I cut off the original speed controller about a half-second before I noticed the quick connects... ;-)

I did have some angst in trying to get the router reassembled. It was a little bit of a pain getting the brushes set back in correctly and all back together with just me. I needed about four or five hands to do it right. I don't recall now exactly what I used-- but I rigged up something (probably a couple of small screwdrivers?) to kind of hold them in place with a little bit of tension and that was just barely enough to keep them pulled back enough out of the way that I could get the rotor back up into the top housing okay (meaning that they held in place as long as I didn't breath on them or jostle them in any way-- it took me a couple of tries to get it right). That was pretty tricky. But I got it done.

The only other issue in building was getting the phototransistor positioned properly. I wasn't quite sure how far down in the hole it should go. There is some guidance in the manual / web site-- but I still wasn't quite sure when it was just right. I finally decided when I pushed it all the way in until it touched and backed it out just slightly, that seemed to get the best response in the test display.

Then after I got it all put back together and set up, there was one more minor little thing-- if I hit the cable just a little, it would jostle the phototransistor out of position. Finally I got it set just right and just squirted some hot-glue into the tube and it hasn't been a problem since.

The SuperPid works just fine. Now that I have it all set up, the only "strangeness" that I have-- I think is really a Mach 3 issue-- for some reason the very first time I use it, after powering everything up-- (everything, router, controller, computer, Mach 3, etc-- all of it)-- it doesn't set the speed correctly from Mach 3. It does turn it on, but always at the wrong speed. But if I just shut it off (from the screen) and re-set the speed again and start it, the second time and every time thereafter, it works fine. I have no idea why but it hasn't bothered me enough to investigate.

In my setup, I have a custom electronics cabinet I made out of an old computer case. I mounted the SuperPid on top of one of the disk drive bays-- you can see it in the pictures. Since those pictures were taken, I have subsequently made a nice bezel for the LCD and manual speed control knob, along with a run/stop switch, and mounted them on the front of the case.

If you're interested in seeing photos of my old CNC router, here are my albums for it:

Here's all of my old CNC Router Project Logs:

(Old) CNC Router Project: https://goo.gl/photos/2H4MxsQn5Hzfe2am7

Adding Limit Sensors to the Old CNC Router: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ma5iFbSLt8Qe1wBo2

Mod Bosch 1617evs Router for Super-Pid Controller: https://photos.app.goo.gl/p4CdNRqYkwPqYwG33

Rebuilding the Z-Axis on the Old CNC Router:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/XBVgymfNfNSm3sOQ2

Here is the log for my New router in progress...

New CNC Router Project: https://goo.gl/photos/Co81AvGwVijE2zow9

Has anyone modified a Makita RT0701C for a Super PID sensor? I just brought one home, assuming it would be relatively easy, and then noticed that in order to get the top off I have to break the stick on s/n label. So then I figured I might as well ask, first, before I make it unreturnable. :-)

I like this Makita because it fits my mill's size and weight constraints as a replacement for the older Ryobi laminate trimmer I used before. I just let all the smoke out of that one, and it doesn't seem to have user-refillable smoke in order to get it going again.

paul

Well, instant gratification got the better of me, and I've answered my own question. :-/

It seems that this router (the Makita RT0701C) isn't that easy to modify. The top of the shaft isn't exposed, as is usually the case. Instead, it seems the tip of the shaft and the bearings are under another layer of plastic. Or perhaps that's not the bearings, but the "sender" part of what looks like a magnetic rotation sensor of some sort. Either way, I'm reluctant to disassemble further. Since I can't return the router to the local big-box anymore, I guess I'll mount it up and use it with its built-in variable speed (10K to 30K) for now, and perhaps get a Super-PID and mount the sensor down low near the collet. It looks like there's plenty of room there.

paul

Sorry if this is a thread Hijack, But with over 100 pages, there's a lot in this thread to dig through. My old computer died and I had to upgrade (windows 8) no parallel port and I'm having an issue with the SuperPID G540 and Mach3 with an Ethernet smoothstepper. All axis work, My issue is that I can turn the router on and off but I have no speed control. It may be strange but I'd like someone to walk me through the path the tach signal takes through the system I see the speed on the SuperPID and when I'm not trying to change it the RPM shows correctly in Mach 3. It seems like the feedback in mach3 is not connecting between in and out. Because when I tell Mach3 to increase RPM I see the numbers go up on the screen but soon as I let go it drops back down to 5000 rpm. And I think I'm too close to the issue to see the answer for all the trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Grift View Post
    Sorry if this is a thread Hijack, But with over 100 pages, there's a lot in this thread to dig through. My old computer died and I had to upgrade (windows 8) no parallel port and I'm having an issue with the SuperPID G540 and Mach3 with an Ethernet smoothstepper. All axis work, My issue is that I can turn the router on and off but I have no speed control. It may be strange but I'd like someone to walk me through the path the tach signal takes through the system I see the speed on the SuperPID and when I'm not trying to change it the RPM shows correctly in Mach 3. It seems like the feedback in mach3 is not connecting between in and out. Because when I tell Mach3 to increase RPM I see the numbers go up on the screen but soon as I let go it drops back down to 5000 rpm. And I think I'm too close to the issue to see the answer for all the trees.
    Why not start a new thread instead of posting in a old thread unrelated to your current issue?

The tach signal has nothing to do with the speed control in Mach3. All it can do is provide visual of the actual rpm from the super pid.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

I put it here because it still involves all the equipment in the thread

Yeah, I'm in the same situation as Grift. Not sure if he ever solved it. I searched the thread and read what I could.

I have a ESS smooth stepper with Mach3 and the SPID. I only see one setting to control the pins for the output. Spindle. I assume it's the on and off function, but I don't see anywhere to do speed control or PWM.

I've been going through Warp9's documentation as well. If anyone has any suggestions or tips, I would love to hear them!

Page 118 of 121 1868108116117118119120